Pregnancy Guide

ask: Borderline pregancy test ?!?!

By mena

Hi, i was just diagnosed with 27 mU/mL HCG level which my doctor described as a borderline and then an ecography proved me non pregnant finally..
how come i could have 27 UI of HCG if it is produced only by a placenta? i got my period in the meantime after 8 days of it being late.

Cary Cook BSN RN

Hi Mena

What did your doctor tell you? You do not say if your levels are rising or falling or what else is happening, but measurable HCG levels without a fetus can indicate miscarriage or ectopic pregnancy, although an ectopic should have been found during the exam. There are a few drugs and medical conditions that can give false positive HCG levels as well.

The most common situation would be you had an extremely early pregnancy and miscarried, but from your question I'm not sure if that's your situation. As far as reading up on the HCG test itself, Lab Tests Online is a fantastic resource: http://www.labtestsonline.org/understanding/analytes/hcg/test.html.

If I did not answer your question to your satisfaction, please let me know. Good luck to you.

Pregnant? Where do you get your information and support about pregnancy and delivery? :