breast biopsy in a few days and terrified

I'm 38 and recently found a lump in my left breast. I found it because it was uncomfortable when I laid on my left side. The surrounding breast tissue is lumpy also, but nothing as large as the one lump. My mammogram and ultrasound were negative. Obviously I'm worried it's cancer but can't understand why it didn't show up on imaging. My doctor and the radiologist felt the lump too.
What are the other possibilities besides cancer?

Excellent news! Good for you and thanks so much for the update!

I hope you stay with us - we all have a lot to learn from each other at EmpowHer!

Yay! Yay! This is awesome news. I am so happy for you. I know how worried you were; you must now feel that a 50-pound weight has been lifted from your shoulders. What a wonderful outcome. Thank you for the update!

Expert HERWriter

Hi there! Can you hear me woo hoo-ing and see me jumping up and down? I am so excited for you! That is such great news and I can totally sense the relief in your post. I bet you feel so much better. I am so proud of you for taking the brave step of getting the biopsy and following through in being proactive about your health--way to go! So was it hiding behind something and not showing up on the images but could be felt? It's also great that you are aware of your body and that you noticed that something was amiss. Thank you for sharing your story here with us! Big hugs to you, Michelle

I got my biopsy results back today. It's a fibroadenoma and completely benign. I'm so relieved! I'm also very glad I pursued the biopsy. I've had a number of friends and co-workers battle breast cancer. It's not worth taking chances. This was definitely enough to scare me into getting annual mammograms. Thank you so much for your information and support!

Dear Anon

Welcome to EmpowHer and thanks for finding us!

Like Michelle, I don't blame you at all for being nervous. Any kind of "lump" can make us nervous but the good news is that you found it and it's being investigated. With any kind of healthy issue - the sooner it's looked into, the better.

To answer your question about why the mammogram or ultrasound didn't show the lump - it's doubtful that it was human error it two different people did the procedure but that is still a possibility. So is a mechanical error.

Since our breast composition changes every month, due to our monthly cycle (and you still have one since you're only 38) that may also be a reason.

But it could also be difficult to detect if the lump - that you can feel - is lubular instead of ductal - meaning the lump is in your milk producing glands (lubes) and these are much harder for machines to see than lumps that start in the milk ducts.

Being on birth control or over-weight can also be a factor for breast lumps.

Most cysts are found in women between the ages of 35-50 so you're definitely in that age bracket.

And good news for you is that 80% of lumps found in the breast are harmless.

Your lump may not be harmless - you have to face that - but if it's cancerous, it seems that it has been found early and this kind of proactive stance will hold you in good stead if you need to have further treatments.

I'm not going to tell you to not worry yet, since you don't know anything. I'm your age and I know how scary it can be so the best I can tell you is to wait for the next few days and honestly look forward to the biopsy so you can at least know where you stand. In the end, it's a lot better than not knowing and playing the waiting game. I hope you get your results back very quickly - will you update us when you do?

And do remember that time - and you age - are on your side, no matter what the result.

I look forward to your update and I'll be thinking of you.

Thanks Michelle and Susan. Even as scared as I am, I realize the biopsy's a must. My father has stage 3 throat cancer, so I know how important early detection is. I've looked at the stats and that helps too. I'm also very healthy, exercise regulary, no family risk factors except a maternal aunt with colon cancer, and don't have any other risk factors (i.e. birth control, smoking, obesity) so that helps too. I'm perimenopausal so that, I suppose, makes a fibrocystic explanation more likely. It's still very frightening. I guess I'm also baffled by the absence of imaging results and the doctors won't speculate, only want the biopsy. I will post the results. I should know by Tuesday evening according to my doctor. Thank you for your positive thoughts and support.

Expert HERWriter

Hello there and welcome to EmpowHer!

Thank you so much for visiting the website and for posting your question to us here. I don't blame you for feeling frightened about the lump you feel in your breast--I think any type of odd lump or change in our breasts will always be cause for alarm. I'm glad you followed up with your physician and have undergone testing and it's great that the mammogram and ultrasound have both been negative.

I once read that a huge number of lumps turn out to be non-cancerous so you definitely seem to have statistics on your side. I also know a lot of women who have had lumps that turned out to be benign cysts; did your doctor or radiologist suggest that as a possibility to you? It's good that your are having the biopsy even though I know it is difficult to wait during all of the testing.

Here is a link to the page on EmpowHer about benign cysts:

Would you please post again after you've had your biopsy to let us know what the results are? We'll all be thinking if you in the meantime. If you need any other information please let us know. Big hugs to you, Michelle

Breast Conditions

Breast Conditions Guide