Breast Tissue Expanders for Non-Mastectomy Reconstruction

By June 15, 2009 - 9:54am

Hi Everyone,

I have tissue expanders to correct my hypoplastic constrictive breasts. I know, most commonly, breast tissue expanders are used after mastectomies, but in my case, I still have my breasts. They are, however, extremely small and "constricted" so I have very little to no breast tissue. This is the route my plastic surgeon decided to go before implanting silicone implants.

I had my first operation to implant the expanders on May 29th, 2009 and will have my first fill on June 23rd. I've naturally been doing as much on-line research as possible to prepare myself for what to expect however I'm not sure this is such a good idea anymore because all I've been finding is how debilitating the pain is once the expanders start to be filled. I am EXTREMELY concerned. I've read that some women have even needed vicodin to control the pain of the expanders. My surgeon has advised me that they will feel very "hard" because they are expanders but has mentioned nothing about the pain. I imagine if it will be this horrible of an experience he would have explained this to me. I now feel very unprepared and worried as my first injection is coming up next week.

On the other hand, I am wondering if there is a chance my recovery will be less painful because I have not had any lymph nodes removed and I still have my breasts. So perhaps the pain will be less? At any rate, if anyone can provide me with some insight and some honest and real advice of what to expect I will be incredibly grateful. I am petrified of this pain I get the feeling I will be experiencing and I can not afford to take any time off work.

Please help! Thanks!

Add a CommentComments

There are no comments yet. Be the first one and get the conversation started!