Bright red blood in stool & toilet water

By May 16, 2014 - 8:33am

In February, I was diagnosed with symptoms of fatty liver disease, so I immediately changed my way of eating. About five days a week, I have a kale or spinach smoothie with two to three tablespoons of whole flax seeds, blueberries, and almond milk, and along with eating more fruits and vegetables, and less red meat, I lost 16 pounds. Now, early this morning, after defecating, I saw some bright red blood on the toilet paper and in the toilet water, and about two hours later, I defecated again, but this time I saw the bright red blood on the sides of the stool. I'm thinking it's the flax seeds that may be causing this problem, since I haven't experienced this before. My father died from colon cancer, and for the last 12 years since his death, I get a colonoscopy every three to five years. They have found several polyps, which were immediately removed. Thoughts and suggestions? Thank you!

Hi danztrax

Thank you for your question! 

There can be several reasons for bloody stools including diseases of the digestive tract but since you are getting colonoscopies regularly, your risk is quite low although of course nothing can be ruled out here. 

Hemorrhoids are great culprits for causing bloody stools and blood in tissue and in water. Sometimes the bleeding can be quite extensive.

But as you mention flaxseeds - yes, they can cause bloody stools too although this is a rather extreme reaction. In what form are you taking them? Caplets? Oil? Ground flaxseeds? 

Has this bleeding happened only when you eat these seeds?

We hope to hear back from you!