Bones & Joints

Bones & Joints Guide

ask: BROKEN ARM IN 4 YEAR OLD....HELP

My 4 year old son broke his arm...I seen the xray and in his arm below his elbow there were 2 bones and he broke one...The doctor put a cast on it for about 5 weeks it was removed yesterday and he now has a curve to his arm and i again seen the xray and one bone is straight and the other healed like an arrow...he also has a lump...the doctor told me that as he grows it will straighten but it can take years, he also told me my other two options were surgically straighten it or to rebreak it...He also told me that there should be no long term effects...I am very concerned about this and would like a second opinion I would also like to know if tis is the doctors fault for not aligning the bone properly before putting on the case...Please get back to me as I need answers thanks...

Anonymous

Hi my son has broken his arm 3 times this year and its the same break all the times 2 bones sorry. the first time the put a rod in him and they removed it 4 weeks later re broken, next time they just put the arm in plaster about 4 months later re broke it same 2 bones.
the 3rd time he did this same 2 bones his armed looked deformed and again they have put a rod in and plan to for 6 months. Why woul dthis continue to happen arnt bones meant to grow back stronger after broken... as he is 5 he missed most of summer and looks like he will again and he loves to swim.. we have doen test to make sure his calcium is all good and theat returned fined. Thanks Shane

Susan Cody HERWriter Guide (reply to Anonymous)

Hi Shane and thanks for your post!

What activity he is doing to keep breaking his arm in the same place three times? If you can find this out, don't allow him to continue this activity.

Also, I know you said that his calcium levels are fine but he may have some kind of bone disorder in that arm that needs further evaluation.

Additionally, the Mayo Clinic suggests ""Children with inflammatory bowel disease, celiac disease, chronic glucocorticoid exposure, neuromuscular disorders, and others warrant special attention to optimize bone health, since they are at increased risk for low bone density. A family history of frequent fractures should prompt consideration of inherited conditions, such as osteogenesis imperfecta."

To read more about osteogenesis imperfecta, read here: http://www.empowher.com/bones-amp-joints/content/osteogenesis-imperfecta...

I hope this helps and we wish your son the best,

Anonymous

Hi. I am a very concerned mom of a little boy that is almost 5 years old and the same thing has just happened to us. He broke his left forearm for the 2nd time in 5 months 6 weeks again. He just got his cast off last week, and His arm is incredibly curved!!! Myhusband I and I are upset, sad, hurt, etc etc. he cannot rotate his arm, and it kills me to watch this. the dr says " He will be fine.. he is so young, that everything will grow out and his arm will be straight." I just want to strangle him. We are going for a 2nd opinion. I have been doing so much research on this, and most things I read the arm never healed. I know this thread is really old, but PLEASE. I am begging you as a very concerned mother to let me know how years later your children's arm look. This has been the hardest week ever as a mom. I get physically sick whenever i look at my precious little boys arm. all due to what i believe was the dr's decisions for my son. he did not reset it, which he had done the 1st time he broke his arm in december. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Thanks for your post, I hope your son is doing better now.

My 6 year old broke her arm very badly in March and when her cast came off her arm was completely bowed, it looked a little grotesque!

Three months later it has straightened out almost completely and continues to straighten. I hope it's the same for your son but I'm glad you are getting a second opinion. It has been a couple of weeks since your post- how is he now?

~Susan

Anonymous

My six year old broke both bones in his forearm about six weeks ago. One bone was completely misalined. Doctor put him to sleep and said he alined the bone by manipulation and casted. Took the cast off today and said it was healing fine but to me the xray looked like the bone was still misalined. Doctor said it looks fine. The motion looks fine when doctor was moving it but the bone still looks bad to me. He also has a lump on the arm but looks pretty stright compared to when he broke it. Should I be worried or will the lump go away and will the bone look better as time goes on? Or should I get a second opinion. Any advice would be appriciated.

Anonymous

In october I fractured my arm and I'm 16 and my arm has a curve in it and I love playing football will my arm straighten out and will I be able to play football in may

The arm does often straighten out but it can take time and it also depends on the break itself and the subsequent treatment.  We can't tell you if you can play football in May - only your doctors can tell you that.

Good luck to you!

~Susan

nana3

Update from Nana3 on granddaughter with curved arm. She is now 10 and the arm is still curved. She has recently been in numerous beauty pageants and has done really well. She made comments about her arm some in the beginning, but after a win or two, she hasn't said anything since. You know pageants really get a bum rap sometimes, but in this case it was almost like a knight in shining armour for her. In the pageant's she was in, her arm was very visible (as almost all pageant dresses are) and no one said or acted funny about it, and I feel it really helped her with her confidence, because she won so many times and I think she realized it didn't matter and it really made her feel better. She still does not have full mobility and at this point probably never will. I still feel when she gets older she will have this corrected. But all is well otherwise. So sorry to hear this happens so often.

lstrun

My won is 10. He broke his arm in football practice 7 weeks ago. He had airget the same night and the doctor out in 2 pins. He wore a splint for 2 weeks and then the doctor out a cast on . Four weeks later the cast came off annd he took the pins out. His forearm still looks broken. It has a large bend in it and he is scared to use it. De told us the same as all of you. It will straighten in time. I'm worried. Should I get a second opinion and is this normal?

Hi hope.a.hale

I'm sorry your little lad broke his arm. However, many kids do come out of their cast with a bent arm. Your son's bones are still growing (and at a relatively rapid rate) so the bending becomes less and less noticeable as the bent arm grows in a straight manner.

Remember than his tissues and muscles have also been growing under the cast so when the cast comes off, the bent bone and surrounding tissue are quite obvious because they have bent along with the bone. It usually takes a while, from a few months to a year, but bent arms on kids after a break do straighten out. I assume his arm will be monitored 3-6 months or so, to make sure this is happening?

~Susan

Who do you trust for making healthy living/lifestyle choices? :