ask: Brown discharge

I had sex a couple weeks ago. I am on kariva birth control and take it everyday. We also used a condom. Last month for seemingly no reason I had my period for two weeks so I don't know what to expect this month. Today I had some brown red discharge. I've had random discharge before but don't know if I should be concerned. I'm also on antidepressants for severe depression. And under a lot of stress right now. I'm just hoping I get my period next week.

Anonymous

So don't worry about the brief moment of brown discharge today? I am probably going to the doctor soon anyways because I have been on Kariva for at least a year now and still get heavy periods...can't seem to find a pill to fix that problem (the original reason why i went on the pill!) I just wanted to make sure I still had the best protection from pregnancy...

Anti-depressants usually don't interfere with the birth control pill but check yours with your pharmacist just to be sure.

Since you are using the pill everyday, two weeks of brown discharge (which sounds like old blood) is not normal and if you are using a condom every time, then a recent  STD or STI doesn't sound likely either.

You may have some kind of internal infection that could be helped easily but I do recommend you see a doctor about this.

Good luck and it's good to see you being so responsible with your birth control and protection! Keep us posted.

How much money annually do you spend on health and wellness products?: