Q: 

Brown discharge

By May 2, 2017 - 10:00am

Mrs. Susan Cody,

I've been experiencing brown discharge for a day or two. I'm supposed to get my period in 4 days. The last time I had sex was May and my partner and I used a condom. I have symptoms of sore breast and back pain, and cramps, but I'm confused as to why I have brown discharge. I usually get it after my period.

Hello Genesis2017

Thank you for writing.

Brown discharge usually happens, as you said is your experience, after a period rather than before. However, old blood can be flushed out before a new period starts (in the days before) that has been lingering since the last month. Your symptoms are similar to PMS.

If you have had periods since you last had sex in May then you are not pregnant. See what happens in the next week and if your period doesn't come on properly, let us know.

Thank you, I'll be sure to do so.