Brown discharge after morning after pill

By August 24, 2012 - 9:27am

Hi, I had to take morning emergency pill (used protection, was being paranoid) levonorgestrel, on 5th day of end of my period. My period is fairly regular with a 30 days cycle. I had dark brown discharge after 5 days from taking the pill and it continued for 5 days. Then it stopped. Then again, I had dark brown discharge for 5 days in the week my period was due. It stopped but after three weeks, I am again having this brown discharge a few days before my due date (before pill) for the second month. Te discharge is about a teaspoonful daily everytime. I am experiencing NO other symptoms of any sickness, irritation or pain and am in good health otherwise. Is this just a side effect of the pill? How long should I wait to get a proper period (with normal flow)? I am in a foreign country and have still a month to go back to my gync.

Hi, i had to take the MAP 12 days ago. On the 7th day i started to get a brown spotting/discharge which lasted 2 days but wasnt due on my period for another 13 days. I am now feeling very nauseated and dizzy. Im also feeling more tired than usual. Is this normal?

Hi Aarti

Thanks for your post.

Taking the MAP can cause irregularly for the month after, including discharge so this is common. But your cycle does seem a little more irregular than usual, even after taking the MAP.

Since you used protected and the MAP is about 92% effective, your risk of pregnancy is extremely low so this may be due to the side effects. Unfortunately we can't say when your next "real" period will come but when it does, it should be normal. If it isn't, put a call into your doctor.