Brown periods for 5 months

So since September (when my period was extremely delayed) my periods have Been thick and dark brown with no cramps and extremely light when normally they are bright red heavy and painful. Is there something wrong? Could this be due to a bad diet? Could It be a sign of pregnancy? (I've not had sex only foreplay) I'm really worried because it says all sorry son the internet like I could have cervical cancer. I started my period in June 2014 and I have always been irregular. Please help

Thank you for sharing your question with the EmpowHER community.

Brown periods is discharge of old blood. However, because you've experienced it for 5 months, I think you should make an appt with your gynecologist to have a full cervix exam done.

Are you taking any new medications? Did you recently start birth control pills or stop?

Trying to determine what's going on by searching the internet will certainly make you feel worried. Make an appt with you doctor and start taking action sooner rather than later. Typically brown periods are not cause for concern, but you need to find out why you are having them long term.

Be well,