Brown residue/discharge after menstrual period

By Anonymous November 27, 2014 - 8:07am

Hi there, i am just wondering if you could help me. Been taking contraceptive pills for 6 consecutive months. Then decided not to take any until i have finished my cervical screening on friday, november 28, 2013. Is it just the effect of the pills or it could be something? I am due for my cervical screening tomorrow and on the leaflet that my GP gave me says that, not to take or use any contraceptive methods 24hrs prior to the screening schedule and not to use feminine wash. But how is this, can i still be tested tomorrow even if im having these brown discharges? Thank you so much

When you say your cervical screening, do you mean you are having a pap test/pap smear?

I have not heard of any reason to not take birth control when getting a cervical screening. It should not change or mask the cervical cells, whether they are cancerous or not.  In fact, quitting birth control can only raise the risk of pregnancy. 

Now that you have withdrawal bleeding from withdrawing from the Pill (often called a period), a cervical pap test may be postponed. Women who are on their periods don't generally get these tests. 

I think you need to ask your GP why he would have you go off birth control just for a cervical screening. I have never heard of this before. 

We hope to hear back from you!