burp sound from stomach

By June 2, 2014 - 5:43am

I am 28 yr old female. For past 2 years I'm suffering from burp noise coming from my stomach.... Sometimes the noise is loud that I feel so embarrassed when I'm on a meeting or get-together... I never used to have such problems before.... My mom also has this problem all the time. Is it a hereditary problem?
Sometimes the acidity is so much that I also feel nauseated and end up finding difficult to eat food.... Then i take gelusil tonic and it becomes fine. Could you please tell me some tips on to avoid this acid reflux?? or some home remedies....?? will avoiding oily food help in treating this prob?? Pls help me....

The provided information is really helpful to me. Will seek medical advice if it worsens .... You covered all my questions. Thanks a lot :)

Hi empower

The first thing we can say is that there could be several reasons for your gas and bloating. 

You may have an unknown allergy that could be causing this discomfort, One solution is to be tested for food allergies - sometimes we live with this kind of pain and have no idea why. It turns out that we are allergic to foods that we eat of a lot of. 

Also bear in mind that we can become intolerant to foods that used to cause us no trouble at all. This can happen over time, as we get older. 

You may indeed have acid reflux - there are special diets for this, including staying away from spicey foods or any kind of hot foods. Limit citrus fruits that can increase acid in your stomach. 

Lifestyle changes can help prevent heartburn, including:

• Avoid overeating.
  • Sit up for 2-3 hours after eating.
  • Avoid wearing tight clothing.
  • Elevate the head of the bed.
  • Do not smoke.
  • Avoid drinking beverages that contain alcohol or caffeine.
  • Change your diet to avoid certain foods.
  • Chew sugarless gum for about 30 minutes after a meal. This will increase saliva flow, which can neutralize stomach acids in the esophagus.
  • Maintain a healthy weight.
  • Manage stress.

If you do get a bout of reflux, 

• Keep a food diary of what you eat and what the reaction is. Make gradual changes to your diet and record the results.
  • Avoid foods that may cause symptoms, such as:
    • High-fat foods
    • Fried foods
    • Spicy foods
    • Onions and garlic
    • Chocolate
    • Peppermint
    • Citrus fruits
    • Tomatoes
    • Peppers
    • Alcohol
    • Coffee
    • Carbonated drinks
  • Eat smaller portions.
  • Allow at least 2-3 hours between meals and lying down.
  • Lose weight.
  • If you smoke,quit.
  • Avoid belts and clothing that are too tight. This may increase pressure on the abdomen.
  • Elevate head of bed 6-8 inches.

You mentioned that your mom has this issue too, empower. There is, in fact, a genetic factor with acid reflux. 

You can read lots more here, if you would like to delve into this further - read here: 

Has this information helped you, empower?