Breast Pain

Breast Pain Guide

ask: Calcium deposits in the breast

By stujenskeva

This past February I had a biopsy done on the right breast due to calcium deposits. The biopsy came back negative for cancer, however, i still have pain and hot/warm feeling in both breast. I have to place ice packs on them to cool them down and that last only temporary. There is some relief in removing my bra but this is certainly something I can't do all the time. I was to return for a mammogram in August but I'm just now getting back to it. They were going to only mammo the rt breat but I have asked for both to be done again. I really need help in understanding why my breast get so heated up each month. This is sooo uncomfortable and makes me worry each month if I have the early development stages of cancer. Does anyone have any advice?

That's wonderful that the mammogram is this week and then you meet with the surgeon soon afterward.

Make sure you write everything down - times of the month you are in the most pain, any other "small" things (that may not be so small) that can help. We remember so much at home and then it flies out of our minds at the doctor's office. Write a list for yourself if you think it'll help.

I wish you the best, stujenskeva- and please update us; I'll be waiting to hear your news.

Diane Porter

Hi Stujenskeva,

I'm sure sorry you're having to deal with this. I have a couple more questions to add to Susan's:

Has this always been this way? Or if not, how long before February had it started?

Have you seen any changes to the surface of the skin on your breasts? Any dimpling or roughness or rash-type appearance?

I'm so glad you have another mammogram planned, even just to ease your mind. But it's good proactive health care. When is it scheduled?

stujenskeva (reply to Diane Porter)

My mammogram is scheduled for October 20, and then a follow up appt with the breast surgeon is scheduled for the 29th of October. So I should know then the results of the mammogram. I sincerely appreciate the input from everyone. There is no redness anywhere that shows on the breast, but there is the warm/hot feeling more prevelent near the armpit area. The icepacks do help some, but I will make it my priority to try and understand what is causing so much discomfort in my breast.

Dear Stujenskeva

Thank you for your question and welcome!

I'm so sorry you are going through this kind of pain in your breast and I agree that this worry has to be exhausting.

Most results for calcium deposits are negative so this is good to know!

I have some questions for you, just to clarify what's going on.

Is this breast pain happening on a monthly basis? Is it around the same time every month? This does happen to some women before they get their period and can be quite painful. I actually answered a question like this for another woman on EmpowHer recently. It sounds like your pain may be what's known as cyclical mastalgia. Mastalgia is the term used for breast pain and the cyclical kind happens to women every month, based on their menstrual cycles and can be very painful. From our Encyclopedia :

Mastalgia can be caused by:

Hormonal changes associated with the menstrual cycle
Trauma to the breast
Arthritis in the chest cavity and neck

Risk Factors
A risk factor is something that increases your chance of getting a disease or condition.

The following factors are thought to increase the risk of mastalgia:

Relatively high hormone levels (estrogen and progesterone) of the second half of the menstrual cycle
History of arthritis
Irritation of cervical (neck) nerve roots

Symptoms of mastalgia may include:

Pain in the breast area, ranging from minor discomfort to severe pain

Diagnosis
Your doctor will ask about your symptoms and medical history, and perform a physical exam. Breast cancer does not commonly cause pain. However, your doctor may also perform a mammogram.

Treatment
Talk with your doctor about the best treatment plan for you. Treatment options include:

Ruling Out Cancer
Worry of cancer can be the main concern associated with mastalgia. Performing a mammogram to rule out cancer as a cause can provide reassurance.

Medications
Topical nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDS) may reduce the pain associated with mastalgia. Also, toremifene (Fareston), which is used in the hormonal treatment of breast cancer, may help reduce cyclical mastalgia.

Prevention
The best way to prevent mastalgia is to avoid trauma to the breast. Wearing a sports bra when exercising can also prevent breast pain and tenderness.

Stujenskeva, have you talked to your health care provider about this monthly pain?