Pregnancy Guide

ask: Can a 45 year old woman be pregnant ten years after husband had vasectomy?

By jane ode

Hi i am late for my period about a week. I am very regular about 26-28 days. PMS symptoms fluctuate depending on the month. I feel as if my period is going to come any minute. I have lower back pain and abdominal cramping, swollen, painful breasts, but my period has not come yet ! I feel like I did when I was pregnant. My husband had a vasectomy about 10 years ago, and he was tested and found to have a sperm count of 0 three months after the procedure. We have had no scares since his procedure. I realize that I'm 45 and this could be perimenapause, but my symptoms are so uncomfortable. I only missed my period once in the past 2 years and when I missed it I had absolutley no PMS symtptoms with it. Anybody ever have these symptoms and how long do they typically last in perimenapause, or does anybody know anyone experience pregnancy with a similar scenario.

Anonymous

Hi, i m 39 years... i was having my periods regularly til 9th october 2014 i just missed it in november i m wondering is it sign of pregnancy or menopause, because i don't have any pregnancy symptom or any hot flash kindly guide.

Susan Cody HERWriter Guide (reply to Anonymous)

Often, the first sign of pregnancy is a missed period so take a test to rule that out. 

Anonymous

I am 45 and was getting my period regularly but I am late by 20 days which had brought me so much discomfort thru out. From the time I finished my last period up until 3 days ago I've cramped (like periods were coming), my breasts were retained and extremely sensitive so bad they hurt and hurt more when I took my bra off. But after all this cramping and retaining water I'm feeling normal. Is there any way I can be checked for menopause?

You can absolutely be evaluated for menopause. 45 is early but you may certainly be in perimenopause. Simple blood tests will let you know.

This is still me commenting on my own part.....is there a chance I may be pregnant? What is the test called to be examined for menopause? And I will go buy the home pregnancy kit and get that done first.

Thanks for all replies that will come.
Bee

Anonymous

Hi ! I Am 49 years old and am 2 weeks late for my period. Approximately 2 months ago my dr did the FSH hormone test and he said no signs of menopause. My period has always been very regular so I am kind of confused as to what my body is doing! I had my 4th child ( no fertility etc) at 42 if that has any bearing

Your cycle may be changing anyway - a 49 year old body is changing even if tests show no signs of menopause. You may be beginning perimenopause. Your risk of pregnancy is extremely low but take one to rule it out.

Anonymous

hi everyone. i'm 41 yrs old in 1993 i had my tubal ligation done not sure how its done. but i already had 2 miscarries ,, but my last period was July 23 2014 its always on time.i looked it up for i don't really have the signs for it,,the signs i have is tired all the night.up set stomach only at night.i get up in the middle of the night to eat something.peeing a lot more then i normal do.my female cat is acting weird . i wake up with headaches not everyday.i do have other children their 23-22-21.but when i stand up ppl thing im about 3-4 months pregnant i have gain weight . so is it all in my head.plz help me.

Anonymous

Hey I've never posted to anything like this so its a first for me. I'm 45 yrs old and my bf is 24. We have been together for over a year now. Well here goes. I've been off birth control for over nine months. My last period was May 14th and lasted 3 days which is normal for me. Even though I did spot for 4 days after light brown. My cycle runs 21 to 25 days. Today is June 11th. I spotted light brown, only a spot June 1st and light pink, also one spot on June 2st. I've taking 3 of the dollar pregnancy test and all come up (-). I did feel a little sick on June 3rd, but I feel fine now. I have an 18 year old. With her I had no symptoms at all. I just knew I was pregnant with her within 3wks time. I've made an appointment for a test Monday June 17th. I just want to knew what to make of all of this. I kinda hope I am pregnant. I've wanted another baby for a long time. btw I have had endometriosis since I was 19 yrs old. Doctors told me I would probably never have a baby. I have my 18 yr old daughter. Doctors don't know everything. :) Serenity

I agree that doctors don't know everything!

Good luck with your test - I'm sure you know your odds of pregnancy without scientific assistance are really low but I spoke to a mom at a school function today who has ten children and had her last (my child's classmate) at the age of 47 - no assistance needed! It's rare but it does happen!

Pregnant? Where do you get your information and support about pregnancy and delivery? :