Pregnancy Guide

misvives HERWriter Guide

ask: Can a 45 year old woman be pregnant ten years after husband had vasectomy?

Hi i am late for my period about a week. I am very regular about 26-28 days. PMS symptoms fluctuate depending on the month. I feel as if my period is going to come any minute. I have lower back pain and abdominal cramping, swollen, painful breasts, but my period has not come yet ! I feel like I did when I was pregnant. My husband had a vasectomy about 10 years ago, and he was tested and found to have a sperm count of 0 three months after the procedure. We have had no scares since his procedure. I realize that I'm 45 and this could be perimenapause, but my symptoms are so uncomfortable. I only missed my period once in the past 2 years and when I missed it I had absolutley no PMS symtptoms with it. Anybody ever have these symptoms and how long do they typically last in perimenapause, or does anybody know anyone experience pregnancy with a similar scenario.

Anonymous

Hey I've never posted to anything like this so its a first for me. I'm 45 yrs old and my bf is 24. We have been together for over a year now. Well here goes. I've been off birth control for over nine months. My last period was May 14th and lasted 3 days which is normal for me. Even though I did spot for 4 days after light brown. My cycle runs 21 to 25 days. Today is June 11th. I spotted light brown, only a spot June 1st and light pink, also one spot on June 2st. I've taking 3 of the dollar pregnancy test and all come up (-). I did feel a little sick on June 3rd, but I feel fine now. I have an 18 year old. With her I had no symptoms at all. I just knew I was pregnant with her within 3wks time. I've made an appointment for a test Monday June 17th. I just want to knew what to make of all of this. I kinda hope I am pregnant. I've wanted another baby for a long time. btw I have had endometriosis since I was 19 yrs old. Doctors told me I would probably never have a baby. I have my 18 yr old daughter. Doctors don't know everything. :) Serenity

Susan Cody HERWriter Guide (reply to Anonymous)

I agree that doctors don't know everything!

Good luck with your test - I'm sure you know your odds of pregnancy without scientific assistance are really low but I spoke to a mom at a school function today who has ten children and had her last (my child's classmate) at the age of 47 - no assistance needed! It's rare but it does happen!

Anonymous

I have a 28 days cycle and i never missed a period ever.And now i haven't seen it for about a month but I am 45 years old.And i do pray i am preg I am just scared to find out differently.

Anonymous

HI my name is cindy and i am 45 and my boyfriend is 43 and we are trying to have a baby for all most 2year and i am not geting pregnant.can hepl me out to know why it not happending....

Hi Cindy

Thanks for your post.

It's likely you are not getting pregnant due to your age. At 45, it's extremely difficult to get pregnant (although women can and do so on their own) without fertility treatments. I'm surprised that you do not know this. You need to go to your doctor and discuss your options with her straight away because your window of being able to have a baby at all is very small.

Best of luck and we hope you have good news for us soon!

~Susan

Anonymous

Just wanted to share that I am 41 and thought I too was perimenopausal- My husband had a vasectomy 12 years ago and did all three post-tests to ensure everything was safe. I took a pregnancy test after not getting my period for three months- and it came back positive. However, because of the vasectomy, I began googling reasons for false postives. The primary reason was cancer. I went to the doctor with this information after my self diagnosis. She examined me and informed me that I was at least 12 weeks pregnant. Apparently there is a 1 in 4000 chance for it to occur so late after a vasectomy. It ended up being our third child and first boy. He is loved and treasured by his big sisters and parents- I now have a tubal ligation. However, the delivery nurse told me she assisted a couple who had both a tubal ligation and vasectomy....so nothing is 100%.

Hi Carrie

Thanks for your post! It does sound like perimenpause or menopause has come knocking - there are some ways you can relieve symptoms:

A healthful diet during menopause can improve a woman's sense of well-being. It may also reduce the risk of heart disease, osteoporosis, and certain cancers. The diet should be low in fat and high in fruits, vegetables, whole grains, calcium, and vitamin D.

Limit Caffeine and Alcohol
Cutting back on caffeine and alcohol may reduce symptoms of anxiety, insomnia, and loss of calcium.

Quit Smoking
Giving up smoking can reduce the risk of early menopause, heart disease, and osteoporosis.

Regular Exercise
Regular exercise may reduce hot flashes. Weight-bearing exercises such as walking, climbing stairs, and resistance exercises such as lifting weights help strengthen bones and decrease the risk of osteoporosis.

Stress Management
Stress management may help ease tension, anxiety, and possibly other menopausal symptoms. Deep breathing, massage, warm baths, and quiet music are examples of relaxation techniques.

Over-the-Counter Products
Moisturizers and lubricants are used to help vaginal dryness.

Nonhormonal Medications
Certain blood pressure medicines taken in lower doses than are used to treat high blood pressure have been somewhat helpful in relieving some menopausal symptoms such as hot flashes. These medicines include clonidine (Catapres) and methyldopa (Aldomet).

SSRI medications (serotonin reuptake inhibitors like Prozac , Paxil , and Effexor ) have been shown to have modest impact on hot flash severity scores. These medications should not be used if you are taking tamoxifen to reduce your risk of breast cancer recurrence.

Prevention
Menopause is a natural biologic event that does not need to be prevented. Quitting smoking could slightly delay the onset of menopause.

Visit our Menopause page here! http://www.empowher.com/media/reference/menopause#definition

In terms of vitamins, the National Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicine has some great information for you - you can find it here : http://nccam.nih.gov/health/menopause/

Some women swear by black cohosh - you can read more on this here : http://www.empowher.com/community/ask/does-anyone-use-black-cohosh-night...

Before taking any vitamins or supplements, make sure you talk to you doctor first, especially when taking medications like Prozac - just to make sure one does not interfere with the other.

Does this information help you?

Anonymous

Hi, my name is Carrie and I too have had the same symptoms as Jane has. I did not get my period last month. I did take a pregnancy test which was negative. My husband has also had a vasectomy 13 years ago. I am 49 years old so I am guessing I am starting premenapause. I feel as if I can start my period at any time with feeling cramping, bloating and having headaches. I already take Prozac 20mg daily, which I hope will help alleviate some of the premenaoause symptoms. Any other ideas for helping me like certain vitamens? Thanks Carrie

Jane

Thanks so much for the update! It may indeed be perimenopause since you're pretty much right there, age wise.

I hope this is wonderful news for you (although I wouldn't be surprised if you had a moment of disappointment too) and that the worry is over. Take care and do stop back at Empowher to see what we're up to and to keep yourself updated on women's healthcare and everything else we offer :)

Anonymous

Hi Thanks for your response. I finally did start my period. I started today which is day 40 of my cycle, which is highly unusual for me. It must be hormonal or perimenopause. I don't think I will like the unusual schedule that goes along with it. I have been so used to a regular cycle that it really through me for a loop. I appreciate all your support.
Jane

Pregnant? Where do you get your information and support about pregnancy and delivery? :