ask: Can anyone tell me what having oligoclonal banding in blood serum indicates??

I have had 5 blood tests now that show this anomaly but no answers to what is signifies....does anybody else have this and know why??

Hello Gbear,

Oligoclonal bands are bands of immunoglobulins that are seen in blood serum or cerebrospinal fluid. In general, they are seen in the presence of inflammatory diseases and immune disorders.

Gbear (reply to Maryann Gromisch RN)

Hi Maryann,

Thanks for your quick reply...I have several chronic diseases one of which is auto-immune, so would these be what is causing this banding? Neither my GP nor hematologist have given me any answers.

Maryann Gromisch RN Guide (reply to Gbear)

Hi Gbear,

Quite possibly. Contact either your GP or hematologist and ask them directly. Either one of these physicians should review your test results with you and explain what the values mean.

Gbear (reply to Maryann Gromisch RN)

Thank you again so much I appreciate it. My Gp says she has no clue and is sending me back to my rheumatologist because of yet another abnormal SPEP result so I will ask her and make sure I get an answer this time :)

Do you know what your cholesterol levels are? :