Brain Tumors

Brain Tumors Guide

ask: Can a brain tumor cause Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome?

By Jayna

My daughter is 22 and recently had a 2.7cm brain tumor removed from her right front lobe. She is also suffering from severe Polycystic Ovaries and Cystic Acne. She can not take estrogin, as she has Factor V Lieden (blood clotting disorder). She is looking for a new doctor in the Pheonix area.
Can anyone give advice?

Hello Jayna,

I am so sorry to hear that your young daughter is coping with three serious conditions, which to my knowledge are not related.

As you both probably already know, Factor V Lieden is an inherited clotting disorder, polycystic ovaries are one symptom of Polycystic Ovary Syndrome, which is a hormonal disorder and there are over 120 different types of brain tumors. Regardless of the type of frontal lobe tumor that your daughter had, I do not think it is the cause of polycystic ovaries or cystic acne.

Because of the complexity of your daughter's medical history, I would suggest looking for a physician who is affiliated with an academic institution, such as a medical school or research center. Physicians in this setting will have access to cutting edge advances in medicine and research.

Best wishes,

Jayna (reply to Maryann Gromisch RN)

Maryann,
Thanks for your thoughts on where to seek assistance. She has a Grade II Oligoastrocytoma. It seems that it was the culprit for many health issues throughout her life. I have been looking into a doctor who uses insulin w/ chemo in order to cause the cancer cells to uptake the chemo quicker than other cells. I know that PCOS is an insulin related disorder, so that makes me wonder if the insulin issues may relate the cancer & the pcos in some way. I know the tumor may not be the direct cause, but one must consider that all parts of the body support each other.
I think getting her in a medical school setting would be a best case senario. Thanks again for the advice,
Jayna