Cancer

Cancer Guide

ask: Can carrying a cell phone in one's pocket cause adrenal cancer?

I read that there is increased bone loss in men who carry cell phones in their pockets or wear them on their hip. My husband died of adrenal cancer. Could this be related to his carrying his cell phone in his pants pockets?

Anonymous

Anon, sincere condolences on the loss of your husband. As a holistic health practitioner I have worked with radiation related issues for a few years now - they are becoming more and more common - also in children because of their high exposure in the schools. I completely agree with "anonymous" above. Radiation from cell phones especially worn on the body for many hours per day could theoretically put the body into a state of chronic adrenal stress, therefor weakening the adrenal glands in some individuals - others could respond differently. I have found that the amount of radiation we are exposed to today has an imbalancing effect on glands and hormones in general and I personally believe many of todays glandular (and other) illnesses could be a result of this.

Diane Porter

Anon,

I'm so sorry about the loss of your husband.

I recently saw a segment on the Dr. Oz show about the possible links between cell phones and cancer. Like Susan said, proximity is key. Here's a link to the report:

http://www.doctoroz.com/videos/link-between-cell-phones-and-cancer

Tina Tran

Hello anon, I'm sorry to hear about your husband.

I also wasn't able to find information conclusively connecting wearing a cell phone to adrenal cancer and currently the cause of that particular cancer remains somewhat of a mystery. According to an article from The Abramson Cancer Center of the University of Pennsylvania the cancer doesn't run in families and is not related to smoking. Further research is being conducted to discover the origin of the cancer.

There was an interesting article on CNET about the different levels of cell phone radiation that I hope you'll find helpful. Will you let us know if this information was useful?

Again, my condolences.

Anonymous

Well if carrying a cell phone in your pocket may be associated with bone density loss in the hip (I read that in the NY Times) and some studies connect it to lowering a man's sperm count, then there no reason to think it may not affect other organs in the area--and therefor it may be connected to adreno-cortical cancer as well.

Susan Cody HERWriter Guide (reply to Anonymous)

It could be a factor, Anon, although the glands are located middle-to-high on the torso so if direct body contact with a cell phone was a factor in cancers, it's unlikely in this case.
I'm sure in future years we may find all sorts of connections with various cancers and our technology driven gadgets but from what I can gather, there is no current evidence of cell phones and adrenal cancers being connected. This doesn't mean it doesn't exist but as of now I can locate no evidence.

Dear Anon

Thank you for your questions and I am so sorry about the death of your husband. Our heartfelt condolences to you.

Studies on cell phones causing cancer are being done all the time and there may be some correlation between possible brain cancer links to cell phone usage.

With regard to men and cell phones, some studies suggest that it can lower a man's sperm count.

But there are no known studies (that I know of) that connect adrenal cancer to cell phone usage. You can read about adrenal cancer and risk factors here : http://www.empowher.com/media/reference/adrenocortical-carcinoma#definition

Is there a particular reason why you think there may be a connection?

Have you ever participated in a clinical trial?: