can endometriosis still come back after a complete hysterectomy ?

By Anonymous April 29, 2010 - 9:31am

i had a complete hysterectomy at age 43. now i am 48.i often experience a dull pain below the upper portion of my pubic bone .i have a history of recurring uti.the pain is mild but has been there since past couple of months.

I have had 35 surgeries and I am no better I never had any kids but been dealing with this since I was 14

I have suffered from endo along with other condition's, between the ages of 24-27 I ended up having 15 surgeries for it. Including a complete hysterectomy at age 27. I had everything removed and I have not been on hormones since then. My endo is still there. The comment about as long as you had your ovaries removed and are not taking HRT, can be right but please be warned that, that is not alway's true. In my case for instance my doctor did not remove any of the endo, she just very stupidly only took my organs. Which means that yes my endo is still there and yes it is still active. Nothing can or will cure your endo, unless you have a very very good surgeon that removes every piece of it from you. No offense to the other's that believe it can not flair up if you have no ovaries or HRT. I also hope I do not discourage you or frustrate you because every endo case is indeed different, but believe when I say I have lived this illness and I have seen what the doctors hide from us and the lack of knowledge regarding our illness. I do wish you best of luck and hope you are better soon.

Anonymous (reply to Endee)

She is so rite this is a hard illness it is so painful i had a partial hysterectomy a little under a year ago and i just had my first flair up it was so painful I didn't know what to do .These doctors are not educated enough .i have been to so many I had 5 surgeries and nothing has work at all i am so disappointed.

Anonymous (reply to Endee)

I've being gone for a while, in holiday and then I found out that my endo is back and very aggressive: it grows aprox. 1 cm/month. I am desperate, doctor said that I should have FIV, but in Romania this procedure is not free, and we have spend all our money with so many chirurgical procedures, treatment and visits to doctors in Romania and Hungary.
I really do not know what is to be done, I almost lost mu hope...there is no treatment and the cyst just grow and grow.....my live is like I am waiting to get from one operation into another, and not getting well.
I hope somebody will find a treatment for this diseases, even if for me will be too late.
I wish you all the best

Sorry, I forgot to asign myself..I am Diana!

Diana - Have you tried to find out if there are any support groups in your country that could help you in finding free or low cost support? It might be worth a try. Good luck! Pat

i am not taking hormones and my ovaries have been removed.

(reply to hgk)

Without cycles of hormones from your ovaries or from HRT, it doesn't seem possible that the source of your pain could be endometriosis.

Here's an article from about.com that discusses possible causes of pelvic pain:

I think if I were you, I'd make an appointment with my favorite doctor, and see what she or he has to say. You shouldn't be experiencing pain for a couple of months, and since you have no uterus or ovaries, clearly something else is causing it. You deserve to be pain-free! Will you consider getting checked out?

Endometriosis is fed by estrogen, which can come from the ovaries (did you also have them removed?) or from estrogen in hormone replacement therapy (are you taking any?)

If you had your ovaries removed and you are not taking HRT, it's unlikely that the cause of your discomfort is endometriosis.

Here's some information from about.com:

In a study conducted by Johns Hopkins, women who had a hysterectomy that did not include removing the ovaries were far more likely to have endometriosis that caused pain in the years following surgery. In that study, 62% of women who kept their ovaries had endometriosis pain and 31% needed a second surgery.

The results were far different for women who had their ovaries removed during the hysterectomy procedure. Ten percent of those women experienced pain from endometriosis after surgery and less than 4% needed a second surgery.

Does this help? What is your situation?

Endometriosis Guide