Can a female with partial hypopituitarism due to Sheehan Syndrome carry a future pregnancy to term without damaging the pituitary any further?

By Anonymous February 15, 2011 - 6:30pm

My husband and I would love to have another child but I have hypopituitarism due to Sheehan Syndrome. I did not hemorage my pituitary infarcted. Anyway, I have been diagnosed and I have been replaced with estroderm .1MG patches, prometrium taken days 16 to 25, Levothyroxine 100MCG and .2mg humetrope. My concern is if we went to a RE and ended up conceiving what would happen to my pituitary? Also, do you know an RE on the east coast that is familar with treating a hypopit?

Hi Anonymous

Thanks so much for your post and for finding EmpowHER!

Pregnancy can negatively affect a women with a hypopituitarism. According to one of our medical experts, something akin to a "mini-stroke" can happen during pregnancy. You can read all about this and watch the video here: http://www.empowher.com/pregnancy/content/pituitary-gland-how-does-affect-woman-s-body-dr-friedman-video

Of course, there is always the possibility of this NOT happening but there may be several precautions you need to take. You would have to ask your specialist about this.

I'm curious as to whether your Sheehan's Syndrome was caused by your first pregnancy? This is rare but it does happen.

With regard to a specialist on the east coast (the "east coast" is very broad!) we cannot recommend specific doctors to our readers but the doctors you are working with now might be your best resource on that.

Please take a look at the video or read the transcript and let me know what you think. Also take a look at our hypopituitarism
page here, where you'll find lots of articles and more information.

We hope to hear back from you!

Hello Susan and thank you for replying.

Yes, I'am hypopit due to Sheehan Syndrome from the birth of my daughter in 2006 and yes my pituitary had a "mini-stroke" in which my pituitary infarcted. The video in which Dr. Friedman is in is exactly what happened to me. My question was for future pregnancies could I damage my pituitary even more than it is now. According to my Endo future pregnancies should not be any problem because my pituitary is damaged and would not be able to inflate. All hormones would be replaced during the future pregnancy and the placenta takes over many that are needed for the baby. I just wondered if there was any other perspective on this or whether this is correct. Thoughts....Anonymous...

Hypopituitarism Guide