Can a Flu shot lead to Shingles?

By Expert HERWriter October 11, 2008 - 9:42pm

flu shot

dear michelle, a 76 year old friend recently had a flu shot and developed a case of shingles. any connection? coincidental? thanxs so much

Jean

Has anyone ever heard of this or had this happen to them?

Michelle

Anonymous

Late Nov 2015 my GP's PA talks me into getting a flu shot. I succumb (first flu shot ever). Within a few days, full blown Shingles (also first time). Spent a month in severe pain and on all manner or meds, topical creams etc. Never again will I get a flu shot. I just got the Shingles vaccine this week. Would rather have the flu than Shingles again.

Anonymous

I got the flu shot 3 years ago, and 2 days later, shingles. Horrible, for one month of extreme pain.

Anonymous

I am a 43 year old male and just received my flu shot this past Thursday. I started getting signs of shingles within about two days. Now I've got a full blown shingles rash going across my back and chest (and all the associated discomfort). I believe Occam's Razor would point to the flu shot as the most probably cause of my shingles.

Anonymous

I am a nurse, and have never gotten the flu shot. Last year the flu shot became mandatory for my job, and I had to wear a mask for 6 months. I could not endure that again, so I got the flu shot 2 weeks ago. I now have shingles. Funny how I suspected the connection and found this site!

Anonymous

Looks like my experience is all too typical. I developed the condition of shingles two days after my flu shot. My first flu shot in many years. I disallow the general official explanation that my immune system was lowered by the flu shot and THAT caused the shingles.

I suggest the real reason is that the flu shot was contaminated with the shingles virus which THEN was enough to mix with my inhibited shingles virus to give it enough strength to cause this first ever attack.

Anonymous

I recently turned 50 and am in excellent health. Given flu season was approaching, I took the flu shot from my local pharmacy. Four days later, I developed painful swelling in the lymph glands in my right arm pit (same arm I received my flu shot). I visited my doctor, who could find nothing wrong with me. Three days later, I ended up in the ER with an extremely bad case of shingles. Coincidence? I think not.

Anonymous

I was feeling great. I was so healthy. It was mandatory at my work to get the flu vaccine so I succumbed. That same day I started having the odd first signs of shingles and 4 days later I was diagnosed with Shingles in the ER because I was so sick and in severe pain. It has been awful and long process and I am still recovering from the illness. My mom told me today that she heard a part of a commercial that there is a big lawsuit being filed for people who confirmed Shingles after the Flu shot this year. If anyone hears more details about this - let me and others know!!!

I had the same problem, 2 wks later after the flu shot, developed Shingles, on left side and leg.Never had this before and have had flu shots before.

My husband got the flu shot on Oct. 12th, 2016. It was many years since he had one. He decided to get it and had pain in the same arm that he got the flu shot with. He had shingles in 2006, and now, a month after getting the flu shot and the pneumonia shot, he just developed shingles last week. I feel that the shots may have contributed to his relapse. Please post if you hear of any one else that can sue regarding this. On top of that, we were wrongfully charged for the visit, the shots and administrative costs, which were well over $600, and now they won't take our insurance anymore as of Dec. 16th, 2016!! I have taken the necessary steps to correct this wrongful billing. This is all we need!!! So unfair!!

This is not wrongful billing. When you get a vaccine, you sign releases as the medical community does not know who will developed contraindications from the shot. Doctors are not responsible for developments from the shots. It is your patient responsibility to pay your copays, deductibles, etc. That is a chance you take. You have no case.

Shingles

Shingles Guide