Can a gluten free diet reverse diabetes?

I am reading an abundance of information regarding gluten-free. I would like to know if this type of diet is safe and can my diabetes be reversed by eating this way? I would also like to know if gluten turns into sugar once injested in the blood stream.

I have a gluten free diet and there does seem to be a link with gluten and diabetes (I am not diabetic).

Gluten, as you know, is found in wheat, oats and other grains and is also an additive put in what seems like most processed foods in order to gel and solidify the food. A very small number of people suffer from Celiac Disease which is a severe allergy to gluten that can badly damage or even kill a person in an extreme case. About 1% of the population has this allergy. Many more are gluten intolerant, meaning their bodies don't react too well to gluten.

But because gluten can interfere with blood sugar (via carbs), the connection can be made to diabetes. But it's important to note that this connection is not direct or a sure thing. Celiacs are not necessarily diabetic and diabetics are not necessarily celiac or have gluten insensitivities!

But since gluten is a carb and carbs affect diabetes, a gluten free diet may be a good idea for some diabetics.

To answer your main question - Type 2 diabetes can be reversed with diet and exercise and weight loss. There is no such reversion available for Type 1.

I hope this was helpful to you!

Diabetes Guide