Can high blood pressure be cured?

By Anonymous December 4, 2014 - 4:43pm

I was diagnosed with high blood pressure at the age of 16 and I've never liked the feeling of taking mediaction. When I would witness fight my sisters had my body would shake and my heart felt like it would come right out of my chest. I'm currently 18 and in college so keeping up with meds is just something I would like to get rid of on my to do list. If it's not able to be cured, can it at least be managed without meds?

HI Anon

Thanks for your post. It must be quite scary to be diagnosed with high pressure so young.  Depending on why you have blood pressure, not taking meds could be very dangerous. You may have to incorporate them into your daily life - just set a reminder on your phone and you'll be fine. 

Do you have an established condition that has caused your high blood pressure?

There are way to help lower your BP naturally. 

In the last decade, many Americans with hypertension started using omega-3 fish oil supplements.

Lifestyle changes to prevent hypertension and/or manage high blood pressure include eating a healthy diet that includes fruits, vegetables, whole grains, and limiting fatty foods, reducing salt intake, engaging in regular physical activity, maintaining a healthy weight. managing stress, quit smoking,and limiting alcohol intake.

As to whether high blood pressure can be cured - it can certainly be lowered to a normal range with a very healthy lifestyle - if high BP is due to an unhealthy lifestyle. 

Depending on why your blood pressure is high, you can engage in the above behaviors to get well again.

Talk to your doctors about your options!

High Blood Pressure

High Blood Pressure Guide