Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Sexually Transmitted Diseases Guide

ask: Can HPV go away on its own?

I was just diagnosed as being positive for HPV and will have a culposcopy in a few days. I've done some research and have read that once you have HPV that it will never go away. But I asked the nurse at my doctor's office and she said that in some cases, the HPV will just go away and your body will recover on its own. If that's the case, how often does that occur? What are my chances that my HPV will just eventually go away?

Anonymous

Hi, in early 2013 I found a few warts around my vulva, and after some freezing it went away. My boyfriend of two years and I then started having unprotected sex again and now he has warts on him as well. He is going in to the doctors to get them check out. I am just wondering if any of the ladies here who 'recovered' from hpv ever attempted unprotected sex again with their men and never have to face the wraith of warts?

Susan Cody HERWriter Guide (reply to Anonymous)

Yes, it's absolutely possible - in fact, most the women we hear from who get warts suffer from them either once or just a few times, and never get them again (they stay completely dormant) for the rest of their lives - as long as they are not having unprotected sex with others who may have different strains. If they remain with the same partner they should be fine. I suppose it's a risk many have to take.

Do not have sex with your boyfriend during his outbreak - makes sure they are completely removed first and use condoms for a while (they won't help 100% but they are very effective) just in case.

I know all this is very worrying but bear in mind that the vast majority of women have to deal with this for 3-12 months and then it's over, as long as pap tests are done and you live a healthy lifestyle.

clarice2311

Great news ladies!I was diagnosed with HPV 9 months ago in January. I got a colposcopy right away and now it is gone. I still have to follow up every year but maintaining good spirits and a good immune system is key.

Anonymous (reply to clarice2311)

I was diagnosed with high-risk HPV via DNA test in 1999 when I found out I was pregnant for my first child. They did my first colposcopy and LEEP 6 weeks after her birth in 2000. I had no issues for 6 years when I met my soon to be ex-husband, who had low-risk HPV. We had unprotected sex, and as soon as my immune system started fighting that version of HPV, mine reared its ugly head and I ended up with pre-cancerous cell changes in my cervix. I was told to have a hysterectomy as soon as I was done having children. I got pregnant 6 months later, gave birth to a healthy boy and haven't had a problem since. That was 7 1/2 years ago. Now, I'm an Oncology nurse and I understand how some of these viruses work. HPV attaches itself to your DNA, which is how it can cause cell mutations leading to cancer. Like many viruses, such as HIV and Epstein Barr (mono), this virus doesn't "clear," it gets suppressed by a strong immune system and goes dormant, kind of like many cancers after chemo. However, as soon as the body and immune system get put under too much pressure, the virus can pop back up when you least expect it, especially if you think it's gone. While guys might not know they have it, and might not share that info if they do, always use a condom, either latex or comparable substitute, NEVER sheepskin, they don't protect against STDs. I dated a guy that knowingly slept with me unprotected, then slept with his next girlfriend unprotected and she ended up with cancer.

Anonymous (reply to clarice2311)

Praise god! God bless you

I was diagnosed with hpv 3yrs ago and mines never went away I'm so scared. I had a abnormal Pap smear last week and was called in for another one they said it was any other std. So I'm guessing I still have hpv and it will never go away but I also read abnormal Pap smear could mean yeast infection is that tru? I pray to god I am healed for hpv and it isn't serious!

Dont worry dear .hpv infection goes by itself.it can takes a short time about six month in majority and it can takes a long time like you.dont worry about paps because abnormal pap doesnt mean that you are sick.hpv can be eradicate even completely it depends on woman! And if doensnt gone for ever it can be dormant that both conditions means you are ok and hpv cured. Best wishes

Susan Cody HERWriter Guide (reply to clarice2311)

That is wonderful news, clarice - congratulations!

Jeanette Combs

I was diagnosed with HPV several years ago and was told that in many cases it goes away on its own. At my last physical, a year and a half ago, I asked the nurse when she called with my results (negative) about my HPV and she said it was also negative.

Have you ever been tested for STDs?: