Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Sexually Transmitted Diseases Guide

ask: Can HPV go away on its own?

I was just diagnosed as being positive for HPV and will have a culposcopy in a few days. I've done some research and have read that once you have HPV that it will never go away. But I asked the nurse at my doctor's office and she said that in some cases, the HPV will just go away and your body will recover on its own. If that's the case, how often does that occur? What are my chances that my HPV will just eventually go away?

Anonymous

Hi, in early 2013 I found a few warts around my vulva, and after some freezing it went away. My boyfriend of two years and I then started having unprotected sex again and now he has warts on him as well. He is going in to the doctors to get them check out. I am just wondering if any of the ladies here who 'recovered' from hpv ever attempted unprotected sex again with their men and never have to face the wraith of warts?

Susan Cody HERWriter Guide (reply to Anonymous)

Yes, it's absolutely possible - in fact, most the women we hear from who get warts suffer from them either once or just a few times, and never get them again (they stay completely dormant) for the rest of their lives - as long as they are not having unprotected sex with others who may have different strains. If they remain with the same partner they should be fine. I suppose it's a risk many have to take.

Do not have sex with your boyfriend during his outbreak - makes sure they are completely removed first and use condoms for a while (they won't help 100% but they are very effective) just in case.

I know all this is very worrying but bear in mind that the vast majority of women have to deal with this for 3-12 months and then it's over, as long as pap tests are done and you live a healthy lifestyle.

clarice2311

Great news ladies!I was diagnosed with HPV 9 months ago in January. I got a colposcopy right away and now it is gone. I still have to follow up every year but maintaining good spirits and a good immune system is key.

Anonymous (reply to clarice2311)

Praise god! God bless you

I was diagnosed with hpv 3yrs ago and mines never went away I'm so scared. I had a abnormal Pap smear last week and was called in for another one they said it was any other std. So I'm guessing I still have hpv and it will never go away but I also read abnormal Pap smear could mean yeast infection is that tru? I pray to god I am healed for hpv and it isn't serious!

Susan Cody HERWriter Guide (reply to clarice2311)

That is wonderful news, clarice - congratulations!

Jeanette Combs

I was diagnosed with HPV several years ago and was told that in many cases it goes away on its own. At my last physical, a year and a half ago, I asked the nurse when she called with my results (negative) about my HPV and she said it was also negative.

Anonymous

Dear empowher,
I am 23 years old and I was just diagnosed with an abnormal pap smear..results were ascus positive for HPV. Ascus being the lowest level of cell abnormality. The most terrifying part was testing positive for hpv..I haven't always made the smartest decisions with being safe all the time and now I live to regret my decisions. I am struggling so badly emotionally with this I don't know how to ever resume having a normal life again. Its hard to say who I contracted it from because I probably contracted it from someone who didn't even know they had it. The hpv test was concerned high risk and not low risk - no genital warts or lesions. I have never had any physical symptoms at any point in my life which is why I guess my results were related to the high risk type and not low. Although this is devastating news I have taken full responsibility in educating myself. Is it true that I can fight off the infection and test negative in the future and remain that way? Is it true that your body can "rid" the virus from the system without it coming back? There are a lot of questions I have written down for my gyno I am going to do a colposcopy soon and I am extremely nervous. I am young and afraid and I would really appreciate any support than I can get. I am an only child with no siblings or a lot of friends I can use a lot of support from others going through the same as me. Please help me I would greatly appreciate it and I will keep everyone posted with my colposcopy results and any new information pertaining to my diagnosis. Please help in any way :(

signed,
anonymous <3

Awww I really feel for you I have low risk HPV and I'm also afraid I'm only 21 and my social life is completely over... But keep your head up do not dtress

I am also 23 and went through what you went through. Had my first colposcopy this past January. I just recently went back for a pap and will know results in two weeks. Hopefully that did it, if not I heard you have to keep amputating your cervix so to say to get rid of those bad cells. I was going insane at first thinking about it but I live with it now and its all power of the mind. God really blessed me with a great boyfriend that did not judge me and supports me all the way I have to admit I do not know if I could have done it without him but a bigger part of me really does believe that if in your mind your healthy so will your body. Just treat your body that way its supposed to be maintained exercise,vitamins, healthy food and a high spirit.

Have you ever been tested for STDs?: