Can a hysterectomy cause hypothyroidism?

By April 27, 2010 - 6:51pm

I had a hysterectomy approx 6 years ago. I still have my ovaries, but uterus and cervix is gone. My body has not been the same since. I can be very moody, poor concentration, depressed, started to get melasma approx 6 mon to a year after having the hysterectomy. I have been diagnosed recently with hypothyroidism. So my question is, Can a hysterectomy cause hypothyroidism?

Yess it definiy is related!! I have a slightly underactivr thyroid after having a radical hysterectomy a year ago. I am seeing a natural wellness clinic to fix the issue.

I had a total hysterectomy then a year later was told I have a NON-FUNCTIONING thyroid prior my thyroid was perfectly fine so there is a connection.

I underwent a hysterectomy and now I too have a thyroid condition. I was given a hysterectomy with the understanding that I had fibroids. Unfortunately, I didn't need the surgery and now I have hypothyroidism which initially, changed from hyperthyroidism. I would really like to know if this is true.

That is a great question (and, I'm sorry you are suffering with so many conditions)! Let us look into this further, as this could be a complicated (and sensitive) issue. It does make sense that they are both hormone-related conditions, that there could be an association....but if one specifically caused the other condition..that would be more difficult to know. It could be that the reason you needed a hysterectomy was due to hormone imbalances, the very same hormone imbalances that are causing your thyroid condition, as well as some of your other symptoms. This would be my educated guess, but again, we will do some more research and write back.

Can you tell us why you had a hysterectomy?

Anonymous (reply to Alison Beaver)

hi I have MS which led to Bio polar and raynords I was told if I had a hysterectomy it would help after 2yrs I now have under active thyroid there must be some link between them as the symptom's are all very simpler is there anything else I should be worried about as hormones seem to play a big part but I do still have my ovaries

Hypothyroidism Guide