Can I be pregnant?

By April 26, 2016 - 11:15pm

I had sex for the first time on April 10th. We used a condom correctly, and it didn't break, though he did finish inside the condom. I bled after, and this continued as spotting the next day. Was this implantation bleeding? My period was due the 26th, and I am already a day late, with no symptoms whatsoever aside from slight cramping, discharge, and backache. I may be stressing myself out, as I cannot handle a child at this point in my life and condoms are the only BC available to me at this time. Thank you in advance.

Hi messranon

We can't say why you bled after sex but it's not implantation bleeding. Implantation bleeding occurs at least 5 days after sex IF a pregnancy is to occur. Since you used a condom properly, pregnancy is highly unlikely.

Your bleeding may have been the result of friction or if your last period was recent, it could have been residual bleeding from that.

Your period is only a day late, I wouldn't worry yet. It's probably on it's way. A pregnancy test would be accurate by now if you'd like some reassurance. Condoms are a highly effective form of birth control.

Read more here: http://www.empowher.com/sexual-well-being/content/different-types-condoms

Thank you for your reply!
I think the bleeding was due to friction and perhaps the tearing of my hymen. I also haven't had any PMS symptoms besides light cramping and backache, as well as discharge which some forums claim is pregnancy symptoms; but some PMS and preg symptoms are undoubtedly similar.
Can the stress be putting off my period? I feel like I'm working myself up for nothing :(

HERWriter Guide (reply to messranon)

Hi again!

Stress can absolutely impact the menstrual cycle. If you continue to be concerned, take a test as it would be accurate by now.