Can I be pregnant if...?

By September 1, 2014 - 5:50pm

Hi, my boyfriend and I were making out about two weeks ago, and things got a little out of hand and he put the tip of his penis inside of me without a condom. I worried that he had precm, so the next morning I had him get me Next Choice. I took it; and the other day, my period started--ten days early. Then, two days later, he and I went to a friend's house, and I smoked some pot and got drunk. Then, last night, we had sex for the first time. I've been on Lutera for a month--haven't missed any doses--and started my second pack yesterday, as well. He was wearing a condom, which he ejaculated into, and it didn't break. What are the odds that I could get pregnant? I'm sorry if this is painfully naive, but I'm just a little nervous. Thanks for your help!

I started taking Lutera the day of my period in August. Well I changed to the generic version the next month and have been on it since. I have been getting my period on time however during June I had unprotected sex and it was on a day that I was taking the inactive pulls. During the moth I took all my pills on time and have been since I started birt control. However could I be pregnant? I have been having sharp left pains in my stomach and decreased appetite.

Sex during your inactive pills is not "unprotected" - you are fully protected against pregnancy, there is no need to use a condom.

A pregnancy test can rule this out for you, just in case. If your pain increases, if it doesn't go away or if you get a positive result, see a doctor.

Thank you so much for your reply! I feel so much better. Another question: can the emergency birth control negate the effectiveness of my regular birth control?

HERWriter Guide (reply to j93)

Hi again j98! 

No, it won't negate the effectiveness of the pill. When you are on the pill, you are on a regular, consistant and smaller dose of hormones to prevent pregnancy. The pill kind of tricks the body into thinking it's pregnant, hence no ovulation, no menstrual periods (the bleeding is not really a period even though we call it that, it's "withdrawal bleeding" from coming off the active pills for 7 days). If you take the pill without a break, you will not get a period ever. Some athletes do this. You are fully protected during the week you don't take pills, you do not need a backup. 

But emergency contraceptives give you a large surge of hormones to prevent pregnancy. Adding this to the hormones you are on already by being on the pill can causes irregular bleeding and messes your cycle up without need. And nobody needs all those hormones unless it's really necessary. 

I hope this explains things to you! 

Hi j93

You are fully protected in both instances of sexual activity since you were on birth control (and taking it properly) for at least two weeks beforehand. 

j98, do NOT take emergency birth control when you are on the Pill and taking it properly. This can interfere with your protected cycle. The Pill is 99% effective when taking it correctly so there was no need to add in emergency contraception. This can cause more harm than good. 

I hope this helps and good for you for taking responsibility for your reproductive choices!