Can I eat dandelions from my garden?

My mother in law told me that she used to to pick dandelions from the garden and make salads when she was little. Is this safe to eat directly out of your garden? 

Hi Kelly

You absolute can eat dandelion! 

You can put the greens in salads and also head the yellow "flower" part. Coming from your own garden is great, just make sure you wash them very well, like any garden produce. 

Spring dandelions are best, they are less bitter than those in later seasons.

They have plenty of nutrients including lots of beta carotene and Vitamin C, fiber, iron, magnesium and protein! 

You can also try dandelion soup or dandelion tea. 

Has this helped you? Will you let us know if you try dandelion? 

I've always wondered about this! I see dandelion greens all the time in the grocery store and think, "are those the same as the ones in my yard?" Looks like they can be delicious! 

Thanks for letting me know when to pick them too (springtime). I'll test it out and let you know. 

Diet & Nutrition

Diet & Nutrition Guide