Can i exercise if my bladder has fallen ?

By December 28, 2009 - 12:34pm

My cartilage in my knees are bad and i here the cracking sound also and my doctor told me that it's the cartilage and i also had ex-rays . I would like to go back to the gym and work out again but my bladder fell to where i can see it and i do not have ant leakage and i have been seen by a doctor and he asked me why i wanted something done i told him that i dont want my bladder done there and it causes alot of problem with my sex life with my boyfriend. When i go back to see him in Feburary iam going to tell him that i want the mess done but he also said that the mess also cause problems but it least my bladder will be back up there anyways back to exercises if i can do them what can i do and for how long because i can stay on the stair climber for 1/2 hour and i dont want my bladder to fall out i know of a women that her bladded fell out. If i cant do any exercises can i at least life weights sitting down. Also what are the chances of my bladder falling back down if i have the mess done. Thank you Kathyj79

Mine all started with stomach discomfort . Like I needed to go to the bathroom . I went back & forth all day with no relief . I thought I was backed up . My tummy was hard & swollen . So I drank the liquid stuff for constipation . No real relief . I did go , but very little & the pressure in my rectum was unbearable at this point . It felt like labor ! Being raised by my Grandmother we didn't discuss things like this . I was horrified as I showered to find a massive buldge coming from my vagina . I called my husband , he said call an ambulance . I did . And the ER basically laughed me out of there . Saying it was my uterus . No big deal . To go get my " junk fixed " the nurses exact words . Within 6 hours I could not urinate . My back hurt worse than my belly & vagina now . Back to the ER , with my husband this time . They put a catheter in . I had to wear home for 3 days . Until the OB specialist could see me . Once he looked he instructed his nurse to remove the catheter Imeditly ! It was not my uterus in my vagina . Now miss diagnosed by 2 ER Dr . It was my bladder & the OB Dr said the catheter was only making my pain worse . This was true . After it was removed the pain was so much better . My OB does not want to do surgury . I did have a bladder test . That was fine . I just don't understand how any Dr thinks this feeling is ok . Why is fixing this so risky ? My uterus has dropped on top of my bladder forcing the bladder out before the uterus . But I'm so very aware it's inevitable . It has to be fixed ! I'm 41 with 3 kids . My body wants this out & So do I .
I guess my biggest concern is why let the uterus continue to do this to my bladder . I really want the robotic surgery offered at my OB office . But they think I should wait as long as possible . Then tac everything up with my own skin . That's fine I don't want foreign objects permanently in my body . Please someone why not remove the uterus & fix my bladder ?
I absolutely don't understand why this is best for my body . What are we waiting on ?
For everything to fall out ?
Then fix it ?
Has anyone been through what I'm going through ? Or still are ?
I really want to make the right decision . I just don't know what that is . I never ever heard of anything like this happening , until it happened to me . Why is this subject so awful to discuss . I was in Walmart pushing a heavy full buggy & yelled for my to come push it I could feel my bladder in my vagina & you would have thought I was an alien ! I wish more women knew this could & often does happen . My ob said this has been slowly going on for Proubly 10 years . The exact time I last gave birth . Women shouldn't be made to feel ashamed . Maybe if more were educated about this it would happen less !
Sincerely ,
Scared & confused !!

Yes i will let you know how my appointment goes in February and thank you for your help i love this sight its so helpful. Kathyj79

Thanks so much for the update! I'm sorry the methods employed already are not working for you (and your husband needs to be more understanding of your physical condition. You are having serious issues with your bladder and sex is now very uncomfortable - accusing you of cheating is ridiculous. He needs to support you, not accuse you of sleeping with other men.)

You should still be able to use a treadmill but for how long is up to you. If you are feeling very uncomfortable, then you need to stop.

Until you get your problem fixed (you'll know more after your appointment in February) you may need to modify the exercise you take. Changing to Pilates or Yoga (both can be quite strenuous if you want that or more gentle if you need it; there are many forms of each kind of work out) for now may be a better idea for you.
For now, staying away from exercises that require a lot of jumping around or that are high impact may help your comfort levels.

Will you let us know how your appointment goes in February?

I have already had two different pessary put in and you didnt stay not even for ten minutes. My sex life is bad its fine for him but not for me therer is not much he can do not me during sex no foreplay for me and i dont enjoy the sex and he things that i just dont what to have sex or when he gets mad he always says are you sleeping with someone else and of course iam not that is one of the reasons that i want the surgery. The options i have discussed with my doctor was the pessary and then surgery. I already had sergery in march of this year but it didnt even last two months the doctor attached my bladder to other tissues and muscle's that i had or what ever he could he said that he could not do a mess because i had three kids and a histerectory not spelled right and no where to attache it to. Then i went to a different doctor and he want to wait until febuary when i go back to see if it has moved down any i dont think it has but i dont want it to fall out either i just want it put back up in i just dont feel right when i have sex or just because it is down there. I guess useing the stair master is out if the question? What obout walking on the tread mill and for how long can i be on it i was always very active before i walked everywhere and was busy all the time now i feel like there is nothing i can do that i liked before this happen. Thank you again for any hepl you can give me . Kathyj79

Dear Kathy

Yes, you can definitely exercise with a dropped bladder but you may need to modify what exercises you do.

We have a great page on bladder lifts here on Empowher. As far as treatment goes, here is the information we have :

Activity Modification

For cystocele and rectocele, your doctor may suggest that you avoid heavy lifting.

Kegel exercises (squeezing the pelvic floor muscles) may help to strengthen the muscles around the vagina and bladder.

For rectocele, the first line of treatment is often a diet that allows for easy passage of stools. This includes adding fiber, liquids, and a stool softener if necessary.

A pessary is a device that is inserted into the vagina to provide support and to keep the bladder and/or rectum in place.

Estrogen Replacement Therapy
Adding estrogen (in the form of pills, creams, or patches) may help strengthen the walls of the vagina after menopause .

For severe cases of cystocele and rectocele, surgery may be needed to move the bladder or rectum back into place.

To help reduce your chances of getting cystocele and rectocele, take the following steps:

* Avoid heavy lifting.
* Perform Kegel exercises regularly.
* Treat constipation.
* Quit smoking.
* Maintain a healthy weight.

You can read more of this on our Cystolcele (bladder lift) page here : http://www.empowher.com/media/reference/cystocelerectocele#treatment

Be careful if you want to lift weights, as most women with a dropped bladder are advised to stay away from heavy lifting.

Exercises like Pilates and Yoga are a great idea and also lap swimming. These are low impact programs that do a body good but don't cause heavy straining or high impact movement.

Here is some more information for you about Kegal exercises : http://www.empowher.com/news/herarticle/2009/03/24/kegel-muscle-exercises-aka-pelvic-floor-muscle-training

With regard to the outcome of the surgery - that depends. Some women find that a insertion of pessary works wonders for them, others find that it's a temporary fix and they go on to actual surgery.

What options have you discussed with your doctor?

Bladder Prolapse