ask: Can I go swimming with a UTI?

Anonymous

I have recently discovered cranberry juice is not as good for our bladders as we had thought. Its is highly acidic. This can cause even more of a burning sensation. Water is best! Also try mixes like cucumber water, cucumber is a natural anti inflammatory.

cfornes

Hi,
There is no evidence that tub or pool water enters into the bladder during swimming. It is safe to swim if you have a UTI.

Wet swimsuits, however, are the perfect environment for bacteria to grow and potentially enter the urethra leading to a UTI. Rinse with clean water and change into dry clothing as soon as you are done swimming.

Remember to drink plenty of non-carbonated, non-caffeinated beverages. Water is best!

Hope this helps.

Crystal Fornes

Anonymous (reply to cfornes)

It is imortant to know that can get a UTI from swimming in a public pool due to E. Coli and other organisms. This information given is incomplete and inaccurate and irresponsible. A specialist in urology should be answering this question.

You are misunderstanding her response she is stating that it is the wet swimsuit that causes the infection not the water itself. The swimsuit with harbor the bacteria and travel up into your body, definitely. Especially in public pools , the ocean and tubs. Swimming naked in your own pool or a highly disinfected Rubin your own tub with Epsom salt for only 15 mins is the best way to go. My daughter has issues with this problem and she has a urologist who suggests this. When she swims she has to get out of the swimsuit immediately and can NEVER sit in it and must shower right after swimming. I usually stay away from
Public pools because they are not always disinfected as well as my own and with the ocean never let sand accumulate in her suit and have her rinse in shower ASAP and change. She must drink ALOT of water, 8 to 10 glasses a day, eat wAtermelon often and cranberry juice whenever possible. If she is in antibiotics I always give her probiotics , and I try to get her to eat yogurt regularly when she isn't on Antibiotic. If she won't eat the yogurt I have her take the probiotics. They are available in chewable so hope this was helpful!

Have you joined the IUD trend? What kind of birth control do you use? :