Breast Conditions

Breast Conditions Guide

ask: Can i produce breast milk without being pregnant?

Me and my partner think it would be great if i started to produce breast milk. I don't want to get pregnant yet, so is there any other way of doing this.. Please reply if you can help

Anonymous

Why am i producing milk my youngest is 2 years old and i never breastfed any of my children. what is going on someone please help.

Thecutestkitten (reply to Anonymous)

There are a couple of different things that could be causing this. They are...
1) Chances are you just never really stopped producing. It often happens.
2) You're pregnant
3) Some sort of disease
4) You're taking a medicine that is inducing breast milk production. I've heard anti-depressants can do that as well as some other various drugs.
*Check with your doctor no matter what it is.

The best information I can find for you is in regards to mothers who have adopted a baby, and are trying to nurse: La Leche League: Adoptive Breastfeeding.

It seems the best method I repeatedly see to induce lactation when not pregnant (from sites for adoptive parents) is to: use a breast pump. I am not sure how motivated you are...but a breast pump would need to be purchased/rented (about $300 or more) and you would need to pump every 2 hours for 15-20 minutes per breast. It is time consuming...not sure how great that is for you and your partner?!

There are medications, called galactogogues, that can help induce milk-production, as well as herbs (none have been proven effective, however). When I was trying to increase my milk supply (after giving birth), I was told the best way is to:
- consistently stimulate nipples (baby is best), or purchase a breast pump
- try an herb, such as fenugreek
- drink lots of liquids...keep hydrated!
- be very well-rested and keep stress at a minimum

I've got to ask...WHY do you and your partner think it would be great to start producing milk?!

What Do You Think the Best Way to Screen for Early Detection of Breast Cancer is?: