Q: 

can laxatives cause miscarriage

By April 14, 2010 - 9:24am

i was on strong painkillers and very constipated and had to take laxatives. didnt know i was pregnant then i had miscarriage. was it because of what i was taking?

Anonymous

Hi susan. I know you can help me with this.
I am 6 weeks pregnant and i am thinking to take laxative to abort the baby. However im also thinking about the complication might happen to my body. Im in the philippines and abortion is illegal here. What are the other options that i can try.

Hello Anon

I cannot recommend anything other than seeking proper medical advice. Or leaving the country to do so.

Anonymous

Hi. I am about 9 days late on my period. I have not had typical symptoms of pregnancies yet. I had sex about a week before my period should've started.

Anonymous

Joey
Hi . Im 6 weeks pregnant and took a constipation relief satchet and ive now been sick 2 times. Is this to do with the satchet? Or am i suffering from food poisoning? I dont suffer from morning sickness or even nausea. Just cramps now and again. I just needed to go to the bathroom and all i could think about was a laxative might help.

I'm sure you are ok. 

Pregnancy can cause constipation so I'm sure it's ok. Try to stop constipation naturally by adding a ton of fiber to your diet. 

All pregnancies are different so your stomach troubles may be morning sickness.

If you continue to be very unwell, see you doctor.

Can you help me ?

Anonymous

im flipping out right now.. im 7 weeks and 5 days pregnant and i took laxatives.. im so scared.. i dont want to loose my baby! is that possible? omg ),;

Hey may I ask what happened when you took your laxative? I'm 7 weeks and took one and I'm afraid I may have caused harm.

Anonymous

I have irritable bowel syndrome and acid reflux disease what causes me to have to use laxatives and milk of magnesia on a regular I may be pregnant and if so is a safe to still continue

Please call your doctor immediately and check with him/her. Laxatives when used as prescribed/advised are not dangerous but may affect early pregnancy in some way - a call to your doctor will ease your mind.

Miscarriage

Miscarriage Guide