ask: can laxatives cause miscarriage

i was on strong painkillers and very constipated and had to take laxatives. didnt know i was pregnant then i had miscarriage. was it because of what i was taking?

Anonymous

Joey
Hi . Im 6 weeks pregnant and took a constipation relief satchet and ive now been sick 2 times. Is this to do with the satchet? Or am i suffering from food poisoning? I dont suffer from morning sickness or even nausea. Just cramps now and again. I just needed to go to the bathroom and all i could think about was a laxative might help.

Susan Cody HERWriter Guide (reply to Anonymous)

I'm sure you are ok. 

Pregnancy can cause constipation so I'm sure it's ok. Try to stop constipation naturally by adding a ton of fiber to your diet. 

All pregnancies are different so your stomach troubles may be morning sickness.

If you continue to be very unwell, see you doctor.

Anonymous

im flipping out right now.. im 7 weeks and 5 days pregnant and i took laxatives.. im so scared.. i dont want to loose my baby! is that possible? omg ),;

Hey may I ask what happened when you took your laxative? I'm 7 weeks and took one and I'm afraid I may have caused harm.

Anonymous

I have irritable bowel syndrome and acid reflux disease what causes me to have to use laxatives and milk of magnesia on a regular I may be pregnant and if so is a safe to still continue

Please call your doctor immediately and check with him/her. Laxatives when used as prescribed/advised are not dangerous but may affect early pregnancy in some way - a call to your doctor will ease your mind.

Anonymous

OK so I'm 4 months pregnant with #5 and I have very unable to go to the bathroom since taking the prenatal. I told doc about it he did nothing. I also have a hernia that is my lower intestine hanging out of the messed up 3rd c section. That also contribute to me not being able to use the restroom. I started taking a lax and it helps. I feel the hernia getting smaller but now reading all of this I'm scared I'm harming the baby. And I've tried so many things to go to the restroom on my own from fresh veggies to stool softer nothing worked. I need some advice.

Is this still going on?

You need to see a doctor who will not igore you like this. 

You can use an enema to go to the bathroom (you definitely will be able to go) but check with your doctor first. 

Anonymous

I had sex a 3 nights ago he ejaculated in me and I am very worried I have this weird feeling that I might be pregnant as I'm experiencing slight cramps in my stomach (they feel like mini period cramps)..I don't know what to do ..I feel that I am not ready to have a baby yet and I don't believe in abortions I need sum help I know its 2 early to say weather I'm pregnant or nt but if I am I can't keep it I need the fastest way 2 induce a misscarrige...I was thinking about laxatives bt is laxatives safe 2take for me I dnt wnt 2 harm my body

We do not assist people in self-induced abortions which is the same thing as a self-induced miscarriage. These are not necessarily safe. 

What you need to do right now is take an emergency contraceptive, go straight to a pharmacist, some work for up to 5 days after you have sex. Pregnancy does not occur immediately it takes days to happen after unprotected sex. You still have time!

You also need to start using birthday control immediately so you don't go through this again.

Miscarriage

Miscarriage Guide

Have you or has anyone you know ever had a miscarriage? :