Can melatonin cause gas/ worsen IBS related symptoms?

Approximately 3 weeks ago I started trying melatonin to manage my sleep. I was taking between 8-12 mg per night and was sleeping well, but I've also noticed an increase in gas/ acid reflux during that time. My diet hasn't changed in those 3 weeks, so I am wondering if Melatonin could be the cause? I've read that upset stomach is common, but I'm not sure they're the same problem. Any thoughts or experiences would be really helpful. I've stopped taking as of tonight to see whether this problem goes away.

Just the opposite. I read that Melatonin combined with licorice
was good for acid reflux and bloating. I have taken it for over a year and it has significantly relieved my stomach pain.

I recently started Melatonin because I don't sleep. I didn't know it was normal to sleep through the night. I did a sleep study and they found nothing. A friend recommended Melatonin and It does wonders for my sleep but I have the worst gas. My poor husband.

Thanks for the response. I went back to my doctor and started taking a probiotic which seems to have helped, but over the past several days I noticed a hardening in my stool and had really bad gas again today after chewing some gum. I'm waiting for results from a blood test. I'll cut the melatonin out again just to limit what I'm ingesting for the time being.

Hi all!

If you are noticing a fairly direct correlation between your supplements and certain side effects, stop taking the supplements to see if they side effects stop. If they have, then it's more than likely the supplement to blame.

Remember that vitamins and any other kinds of supplements/herbs  have ingredients in them that can interfere with other medications and cause reactions. It's best to check with a pharmacist or doctor before resuming them.

I also recently started taking Melatonin to manage my sleep, and have found myself having acid reflux and gas that I have associated with the Melatonin.

Sorry for the confusion, but I wanted to add/ change what I think the problem is. I have IBS, and recently I started taking a gummy vitamin supplement with Inulin Fiber in it. The dosage is fairly small (280mg), but I've been reading about how even small amounts for someone unable to break it down can mean massive problems for the colon/ digestive track. The gummies have 280mg Inulin fiber per serving. I noticed feeling better/ having fewer problems on days I don't take the gummies. Anyone have thoughts/ additions?

Anonymous (reply to Astridhaze)

Googled "melatonin and gas pain" and ended up here. I have ibs too. I've been taking Melatonin for months with only the occasional heartburn if I don't fall asleep before it wears off. But since I started a gummy fiber, I've got major tummy pain and super reflux nightly so your comments been helpful! I'll try kicking the fiber out first before losing sleep :)

Diet & Nutrition

Diet & Nutrition Guide