Can mold exposure cause Lupus?

I have recently been diagnoses with SLE due to extreme joint pain and fatigue. Prior to this diagnosis I had several health issues related to mold exposure. We were removed from the building in question but several symptoms remained in my case. I was in 2010 diagnosed with interstitial Lung disease / Hypersensitivity Pneumonitis secondary to Aspergillus fumigatus mold exposure with very high markers for the mold in my blood. I guess i'm trying not to have Lupus! There is no history of lupus in my family on either side; could have this environment caused my current diagnosis? OVERWHELMED

I was diagnosis sle 10years ago. Now with medication i can control where i only have few flare up in a year. But i do remember i was exposed to mold one year before i was diagnosised. I was always wondering if that had any connection.

I'm sorry that you feel overwhelmed, I know it's a lot to take in. Diagnosis of lupus actually takes a lot of testing so you may contine to be tested just to be sure that Lupus is in fact an accurate diagnosis for you.

Lupus is an autoimmune disorder that is not caused by environmental conditions alone but it can be a combination of genetic and environmental conditions.  It inflames:

• Joints
  • Tendons
  • Skin
  • Other connective tissue and organs

It causes the immune system to make antibodies that attack the body's healthy cells and tissue.

For symptoms, treatments, and diagnosis...please visit: http://www.empowher.com/condition/lupus/symptoms

Best wishes,