Can my girlfriend become pregnant?

By Anonymous April 13, 2011 - 2:52pm

I know the question is not blunt enough but here are details. My girlfriend and I had unprotected sex last night,(4-12) bad choice but it sorta just happened. She is on hormonal birth control, and she ended her period last thursday (4-7). Is there any possibility of her getting pregnant?

If your girlfriend is taking birth control correctly, that is not missing a dose and taking her pill at the same time each day, then she should be protected against pregnancy.
Most birth control pills are "combination pills" containing a combination of the hormones estrogen and progesterone to prevent ovulation (the release of an egg during the monthly cycle). A woman cannot get pregnant if she doesn't ovulate because there is no egg to be fertilized. The Pill also works by thickening the mucus around the cervix, which makes it difficult for sperm to enter the uterus and reach any eggs that may have been released. The hormones in the Pill can also sometimes affect the lining of the uterus, making it difficult for an egg to attach to the wall of the uterus.
Hope this information is helpful to you.