Can my HPV still be spread after clearing up?

I was diagnosed with HPV 24 months ago during one of my first OB appointments. After giving birth, at my 6 week check up with my OB/GYN my tests cam back normal, no HPV. Is it possible to spread the virus now that mine has cleared up?

Dear Anon

Thanks for your question and welcome to Empowher - congrats on your little one!

The answer is yes, you can (and probably do) still have HPV in your system - your immune system is handling it well for now and it may for the rest of your life. However, it can always resurface, especially if you are unwell and your immune system is compromised, like when you are pregnant. In fact, that could be why you got your diagnosis then - you may have been infected years before your diagnosis. A pregnant woman has a compromised immune system so things like cold sores, genital herpes and HPV can often surface during those 9 months.

So make sure you continue to get your pap tests every year for the rest of your life and bear in mind that you can infect others, even when HPV is not showing in your system currently. But if you get your annual checks, odds are you'll grow old having lived a healthy life with lots of babies! Also bear in mind that up to 80% of sexually active females come into contact with HPV and most live long and healthy lives. However, it's vital to remain vigilant about those annual paps.

I hope this helps you!

Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Sexually Transmitted Diseases Guide