Menopause

Menopause Guide

ask: Can Natural Progesterone cause Yeast Overgrowth? Can Progesterone cream help severe hand pain (started when periods stopped)?

By Joann1

I've been period free for a year. Insomnia issues: taking supplements (not drugs, recently stopped all drugs except for my thyroid). Hypo-Thyroid: taking Levothyroxine 112. Also, on and off Progesterone cream (4 pumps per night). Struggling with severe joint pain in hands and wrists, started to the month when my periods stopped (been a year now)...a little spotting 6 month's back. I have stopped taking Progesterone on and off due to concern for issue with stubborn yeast infections. I've been on Dyflucan 8 times this year. I am now on a special Phase 1 Diet for 3 months. Still struggling with yeast and vaginal swelling and low sex drive, stinging tongue and a slight discharge, insomnia, fatigue, muscle contractions, night sweats. Frustrated! Not much help from Dr.'s (Gyn, Primary Dr., and a specialist for joint pain). Specialist thinks it could be estrogen caused, so no longer using bio-identical estrogen. I have the testosterone but too scared to try it. My sugar levels are fine. DHEA levels are fine. Other hormones are low (normal for Menopause they say). I have varicose veins so using cream, lower risk of blood clot, I've been told. Weight is 145 at I'm 5'7". I'm 52. Biggest frustrations: Joint pain, Yeast overgrowth, low sex drive (my poor husband), bladder infections, insomnia, inability to lose weight and recently depression because I'm so discouraged. Don't want any more drugs!! Help!!

Anonymous

Puteti vizualiza oferte diverse si prezentarea serviciilor celor mai importante firme prestatoare de servicii ddd din Romania, intrand pe www.servicii-ddd.com

Anonymous

Candidiasis encompasses infections that range from superficial, such as oral thrush and vaginitis, to systemic and potentially life-threatening diseases. Candida infections of the latter category are also referred to as candidemia or invasive candidiasis, and are usually confined to severely immunocompromised persons, such as cancer, transplant, and AIDS patients, as well as nontrauma emergency surgery patients.

Anonymous

Hello, I am new here, but saw something that really caught my attention. I didn't read thru everyone's comments, but wanted to bring up the issue of progesterone cream. Long story very short: I've dealt w/endometriosis & associated symptoms, and began progesterone cream about 8 or 9 years ago-after first taking Prometrium for a short time. Progesterone cream has been touted as the "fix all" for women's issues all over the internet. in 2010, I experienced a rather major episode of thrombosis. I was told to up my dosage of the cream, and I wound up with another episode that I am still recovering from. Right before this last "episode," I developed severe-and I mean severe-pain in my left wrist/thumb joint area. That began about 3 months ago. I found a couple of comments here about "wrist pain." Can anyone expand upon this, please? I am not trying to bash progesterone per se, but also ran across this, & decided to quit using the cream: http://www.bmj.com/rapid-response/2011/10/30/warning-about-natural-proge...
Any thoughts/comments??
Thanks!!

Hi there Anonymous.
I'm not sure when you wrote this comment. I haven't checked the site for a lot time, but I just wanted you to know that I am totally convinced that the natural progesterone cream caused my and pain. After a year of use, and no help from my GYN, or my Gp. I schedule a visit with the Rheumatologist, no one could explain the severe pain in both of my wrists. I couldn't even lift anything and it wasn't carpal tunnel the Doc said. He did suggest going off of the progesterone (to try to see if it "might help", which I did the very next day. The pain disappeared two days later and it has never returned. It's been 3 years. I did have thumb pain for two weeks one other time, during a change in thyroid medication, which caused me to cycle a bit (just guessing because of other symptoms I had). It disappeared and also didn't come back. Strange. But am totally convinced the original wrist pain was caused by the natural progesterone. It helped me sleep (had bad insomnia) but the pain made this treatment unworkable for me. Hope my experience helps. I would suggest stopping for a while (if you haven't already) and see what happens. I have no doubt you might find the same truth as I did. Just because it's natural doesn't mean your body is happy with it. :) Good luck. joann

Anonymous

This is my first-time i pay a visit to here. I identified a multitude of entertaining stuff as part of your weblog, especially its discourse. From the tons of comments on the posts, I guess I'm not the only one having most with the enjoyment the following! Keep within the excellent job.

deratizare dezinsectie

Anonymous

Hi,
I once struggled with yeast problems as well, but switched to a yeast free/gluten free diet and it cured it. Hope this helps. I remember how frustrated I was. I also take progesterone and have no issues with the yeast as long as I follow the diet. Good luck.

Anonymous

Hi Everyone, Joann Here. It's been a year since I've posted and wanted to give all an update in case my experience can help anyone out there.

Still period free, so I guess I'm officially in menopause (according to my GYN). Have lowered my thyroid medication a bit and my sleep is much better. Still taking calcium/magnesium for sleep. Along with other good supplements daily (fish oil, Vitamin D and C). But overall sleeping much better, once in a while I'll have a set back. Bladder is very prone to infection these days and D-Mannose is wonderful (simple sugar that does not encourage yeast, and washes out bacteria). I am presently on a small amount of vaginal natural estrogen a few times a week to help my vaginal area stay healthy. Infection prone (not yeast, put a bacteria overgrowth due to no hormones). This has helped a lot. Other than this, I am not on any hormone replacement. Wrist pain and chest rash (from NATURAL PROGESTERONE AND NATURAL ESTORGEN), has not returned AT ALL since I stopped using. Yeast is better under control as well, since I am not using progesterone. Bad news for me. Natural Oregano, coconut oil, and other anti-fungals have helped a lot. I take gel coated pro-biotics every day, morning and night. This also has helped tons.

Night sweats still around, but not quite as bad these days so perhaps I am leveling off. Still have hot flashes during the day, and now, adult acne has shown up for a week every month. Any suggestions?????

Thank you Carey, for your help and support, I love this website!
Best wishes to my struggling Empower Friends. We need to stick together and share our "finds" so that we have a quality of life during this season of changes. Thank you everyone for your input, I have appreciated it all!!!

Hugs,
joann

Anonymous

Heavy metals can be the root cause of your yeast as well.... Mercury, thiomersal (which is mercury as well) used in flu vaccinations, and trace amounts are still used in other vaccinations to preserve them..http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thiomersal
They say it's highly toxic here, but perfectly okay in vaccinations in small doses...NOT...
Amalgam fillings and Vaccinations cause an imbalance of good bacteria in our bodies

Colloidal Silver use to kill the candida
http://ezinearticles.com/?Treating-Candida-Infections-with-Colloidal-Sil...

I know all too well about the hormones and pain.. Candid

http://curezone.com/forums/fm.asp?i=1113251 (toxins will release from the kill off of these candidas.. They will release into your bladder and may cause an infection there-- You should also look in your stool to see if large doses of rice like objects..that's when you'll know it's really doing the job..

Detox the Thyroid and candida's effect on the Thyroid
http://curezone.com/forums/fm.asp?i=1113251

Anonymous

JoAnn and Cary: Thank you for your posts! I have been experiencing sypmtoms of hormone imbalance for the past 2 years. I finally found a doctor that practices wellness as well as traditional medicine. I have read Dr. Brownstein's books. JoAnn you might benefit from them too, I suggest his Thyroid book, and Balancing Hormones Naturally book. They are very informative! My doctor said "you obviously are very knowledgable on this topic, and consulted with me about my sypmtoms, like I was a specialist." That should not be a shocking experience, as I am the specialist of MY Body. I have symptoms of hypothyroid, TSH is elevated, T3 and T4 are normal, but I have thyroid antibodies (oh, and my progesterone is 0.8).
Dr. started me on Iodorol (Iodine), Thyrosol natural suppliment, a 2 month rx of Diflucan (Yeast blood test was way positive), natural progesterone cream, and a yeast free/gluten free diet. In two months we will retest hormones and thyroid and make a determination if I will need the natural Armour Thyroid. This is a blend of holistic wellness and traditional medicine approach, and it fits for me.
You are Your Specialist too. Good luck, and keep sharing and researching. I will too.
Christie

Hi Christie,

Thanks for your input and suggestions. I will be checking out this book. :) I believe I am officially in Menopause now. Although I still
think that I am having hormone surges. Hot flashes are awful. I stopped using the natural progesterone cream (which was helping me sleep), and my wrist pain is completely gone. I believe my Candida is under control, had a little set back at Christmas...LOL (sugar kills me!). I have to stay really close to the Phase 1 diet.
Have you checked out Doug Kaufman's, Know the Cause site? Helped me so much. Eating right has become more important than ever.
Re Thyroid: Having a hard time keeping it stable. I think I may ask
to try the armor. It's nice to know others are out there like me :).
Thanks for the tips. And BTW...you are so right about educating yourself and helping your doctor help you. My friends call me
Dr. H. :). I'm thankful to be on the right track. My biggest issue right now at 53 is low libido. Am going to try DHEA soon. Blessings!

ps. Hi Carey, and thanks again for all your help. Empower has helped me a lot.

Do you have hot flashes due to menopause? :