Menopause

Menopause Guide

ask: Can Natural Progesterone cause Yeast Overgrowth? Can Progesterone cream help severe hand pain (started when periods stopped)?

I've been period free for a year. Insomnia issues: taking supplements (not drugs, recently stopped all drugs except for my thyroid). Hypo-Thyroid: taking Levothyroxine 112. Also, on and off Progesterone cream (4 pumps per night). Struggling with severe joint pain in hands and wrists, started to the month when my periods stopped (been a year now)...a little spotting 6 month's back. I have stopped taking Progesterone on and off due to concern for issue with stubborn yeast infections. I've been on Dyflucan 8 times this year. I am now on a special Phase 1 Diet for 3 months. Still struggling with yeast and vaginal swelling and low sex drive, stinging tongue and a slight discharge, insomnia, fatigue, muscle contractions, night sweats. Frustrated! Not much help from Dr.'s (Gyn, Primary Dr., and a specialist for joint pain). Specialist thinks it could be estrogen caused, so no longer using bio-identical estrogen. I have the testosterone but too scared to try it. My sugar levels are fine. DHEA levels are fine. Other hormones are low (normal for Menopause they say). I have varicose veins so using cream, lower risk of blood clot, I've been told. Weight is 145 at I'm 5'7". I'm 52. Biggest frustrations: Joint pain, Yeast overgrowth, low sex drive (my poor husband), bladder infections, insomnia, inability to lose weight and recently depression because I'm so discouraged. Don't want any more drugs!! Help!!

Anonymous

Hello, I am new here, but saw something that really caught my attention. I didn't read thru everyone's comments, but wanted to bring up the issue of progesterone cream. Long story very short: I've dealt w/endometriosis & associated symptoms, and began progesterone cream about 8 or 9 years ago-after first taking Prometrium for a short time. Progesterone cream has been touted as the "fix all" for women's issues all over the internet. in 2010, I experienced a rather major episode of thrombosis. I was told to up my dosage of the cream, and I wound up with another episode that I am still recovering from. Right before this last "episode," I developed severe-and I mean severe-pain in my left wrist/thumb joint area. That began about 3 months ago. I found a couple of comments here about "wrist pain." Can anyone expand upon this, please? I am not trying to bash progesterone per se, but also ran across this, & decided to quit using the cream: http://www.bmj.com/rapid-response/2011/10/30/warning-about-natural-proge...
Any thoughts/comments??
Thanks!!

Anonymous

This is my first-time i pay a visit to here. I identified a multitude of entertaining stuff as part of your weblog, especially its discourse. From the tons of comments on the posts, I guess I'm not the only one having most with the enjoyment the following! Keep within the excellent job.

deratizare dezinsectie

Anonymous

Hi,
I once struggled with yeast problems as well, but switched to a yeast free/gluten free diet and it cured it. Hope this helps. I remember how frustrated I was. I also take progesterone and have no issues with the yeast as long as I follow the diet. Good luck.

Anonymous

Hi Everyone, Joann Here. It's been a year since I've posted and wanted to give all an update in case my experience can help anyone out there.

Still period free, so I guess I'm officially in menopause (according to my GYN). Have lowered my thyroid medication a bit and my sleep is much better. Still taking calcium/magnesium for sleep. Along with other good supplements daily (fish oil, Vitamin D and C). But overall sleeping much better, once in a while I'll have a set back. Bladder is very prone to infection these days and D-Mannose is wonderful (simple sugar that does not encourage yeast, and washes out bacteria). I am presently on a small amount of vaginal natural estrogen a few times a week to help my vaginal area stay healthy. Infection prone (not yeast, put a bacteria overgrowth due to no hormones). This has helped a lot. Other than this, I am not on any hormone replacement. Wrist pain and chest rash (from NATURAL PROGESTERONE AND NATURAL ESTORGEN), has not returned AT ALL since I stopped using. Yeast is better under control as well, since I am not using progesterone. Bad news for me. Natural Oregano, coconut oil, and other anti-fungals have helped a lot. I take gel coated pro-biotics every day, morning and night. This also has helped tons.

Night sweats still around, but not quite as bad these days so perhaps I am leveling off. Still have hot flashes during the day, and now, adult acne has shown up for a week every month. Any suggestions?????

Thank you Carey, for your help and support, I love this website!
Best wishes to my struggling Empower Friends. We need to stick together and share our "finds" so that we have a quality of life during this season of changes. Thank you everyone for your input, I have appreciated it all!!!

Hugs,
joann

Anonymous

Heavy metals can be the root cause of your yeast as well.... Mercury, thiomersal (which is mercury as well) used in flu vaccinations, and trace amounts are still used in other vaccinations to preserve them..http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thiomersal
They say it's highly toxic here, but perfectly okay in vaccinations in small doses...NOT...
Amalgam fillings and Vaccinations cause an imbalance of good bacteria in our bodies

Colloidal Silver use to kill the candida
http://ezinearticles.com/?Treating-Candida-Infections-with-Colloidal-Sil...

I know all too well about the hormones and pain.. Candid

http://curezone.com/forums/fm.asp?i=1113251 (toxins will release from the kill off of these candidas.. They will release into your bladder and may cause an infection there-- You should also look in your stool to see if large doses of rice like objects..that's when you'll know it's really doing the job..

Detox the Thyroid and candida's effect on the Thyroid
http://curezone.com/forums/fm.asp?i=1113251

Anonymous

JoAnn and Cary: Thank you for your posts! I have been experiencing sypmtoms of hormone imbalance for the past 2 years. I finally found a doctor that practices wellness as well as traditional medicine. I have read Dr. Brownstein's books. JoAnn you might benefit from them too, I suggest his Thyroid book, and Balancing Hormones Naturally book. They are very informative! My doctor said "you obviously are very knowledgable on this topic, and consulted with me about my sypmtoms, like I was a specialist." That should not be a shocking experience, as I am the specialist of MY Body. I have symptoms of hypothyroid, TSH is elevated, T3 and T4 are normal, but I have thyroid antibodies (oh, and my progesterone is 0.8).
Dr. started me on Iodorol (Iodine), Thyrosol natural suppliment, a 2 month rx of Diflucan (Yeast blood test was way positive), natural progesterone cream, and a yeast free/gluten free diet. In two months we will retest hormones and thyroid and make a determination if I will need the natural Armour Thyroid. This is a blend of holistic wellness and traditional medicine approach, and it fits for me.
You are Your Specialist too. Good luck, and keep sharing and researching. I will too.
Christie

Hi Christie,

Thanks for your input and suggestions. I will be checking out this book. :) I believe I am officially in Menopause now. Although I still
think that I am having hormone surges. Hot flashes are awful. I stopped using the natural progesterone cream (which was helping me sleep), and my wrist pain is completely gone. I believe my Candida is under control, had a little set back at Christmas...LOL (sugar kills me!). I have to stay really close to the Phase 1 diet.
Have you checked out Doug Kaufman's, Know the Cause site? Helped me so much. Eating right has become more important than ever.
Re Thyroid: Having a hard time keeping it stable. I think I may ask
to try the armor. It's nice to know others are out there like me :).
Thanks for the tips. And BTW...you are so right about educating yourself and helping your doctor help you. My friends call me
Dr. H. :). I'm thankful to be on the right track. My biggest issue right now at 53 is low libido. Am going to try DHEA soon. Blessings!

ps. Hi Carey, and thanks again for all your help. Empower has helped me a lot.

Anonymous

Hi Anonymous: Joann here. Yes, I agree with you. I went on this same diet. Yes, I am a believer!! I was on this diet for months. If you have not already checked out Doug Kaufman's "Know the Cause" site you should check it out. I am tons better and am thankful that I found help with this diet. I am doing so much better and now have added many foods I loved back in to my diet.

I am no longer on natural progesterone. I take lots of natural supplements, including anti fungal (coconut oil, oregano oil, pro-biotics, garlic, and others).

Candida overgrowth is a curse!!! But there is a cure! :)

Best wishes. And thanks for the encouragement!

Anonymous

Hi ladies!
Everything you are describing sounds like systemic candidiasis. I have been suffering from this and by going on the diet I have regulated my thyroid and am no longer on thyroid meds. I have lost 20 #s and all hand pain is gone. All feminine yeast infections are gone. My sex drive is good when I really stick with the diet. My moods are also regulated when I eat properly. The diet consists of any proteins you want along with any vegetables, no more than 1-2 fruits a day ( berries & green apples are the best), no sugars accept stevia, no vinegar accept apple cider vinegar (BRAGG), NO YEAST, and no grains until u have cleansed the body of all yeast overgrowth. This may take up to a year to completely cleanse the body. After you have completed the yeast die-off, you can start SLOWLY adding back in a grain here or there but try to stay away from wheat and yeast. It's hard to find a doc that even believes in this but I have found one by chance. She's the one that diagnosed me as I was unaware of this.

Joann1

Hi Cary,
Just an update in case it might be helpful to someone with the same issues as me. :)

I am doing a lot better so thought I give you an update. My wrist pain is gone (for the most part), the inflammation is gone in my vaginal area as well. And except for the night sweats, I'm not as uncomfortable overall. After an incident where my breasts got lumpy and extremely painful, and spotting which was diagnosed/noticed by the Dr. during my exam, (I didn't notice, because it was so slight I didn't even know.), she said I actually was having a very, very light period (so I guess still in peri-menopause). I felt really frustrated, having one more thing to figure out! I had to have a test to check for cancer...just in case (came back negative, BTW). My Gyn suggested that my symptoms were probably caused by too much of the bio-identical progesterone, as you, Cary, had suggested. So, I reluctantly went off the progesterone. Kinda sad because I knew my insomnia would return, which it did.

I think that my insomnia is worse now because of the night sweats? I am still using natural supplements, to help me sleep and to address inflammation. But, I think I need to change the dosages again, so hoping to experience good sleep (without drugs), again soon. I have changed my Thyroid supplements to Levoxyl instead of generic (dosing 100 and 112 every other day), noticeable difference. Feeling more normal, but still a little off. I think because my weight keeps going up and down.

Also, I have been pretty faithful on my Phase 1 diet, which is an anti-candida diet (6 month's now and presently on a maintenance plan). Especially watching the sugar, wheat, corn, yeast, carbs in general. For those who might be interested in this helpful diet, please check out Doug Kaufman's, "Know the Cause" website. It has helped me in so many ways, it's really been amazing. You know what they say..."you are what you eat". I am seeing this in reality in my life. Can't even express how much better I feel.

Thank you so much for your help, Cary. It was so great to have a safe, reliable place to find answers. I'm still riding the menopause roller coaster and hoping that my body will continue to stabilize soon. But thanks to you, for helping to make this journey a little easier.

I'll be in touch :)!

FYI:
Supplements:
Calcium: 1,200 mil with minerals
Magnesium: 400 to 600 mil
Potassium: 200 mil
Vitamin C: 1,000
L-Tryptophan 500 mg.
Soluble Fiber: 1 capsule
Vitamin D: 5,000 IU (per Dr'.s orders, had a deficiency)
D-Mannose: for bladder
Sleep Tonight: by Enzymatic
Co-Q10 and fish oil
Wild Oregano (anti-fungal)
Garlic, odorless (anti-fugal)
Probiotics: the kind that is sealed in gelatin
Phyllium Husks (anti-fungal)
Sometimes Gaba and Glycine: Helps me sleep
I soon will be adding back my B vitamins and upping my Gaba and
Glycine.
When I remember: baking soda and lemon water to keep my system
ph alkaline (to ward of candida and help with joint aches). I eat a
lot of protein and veggies which makes me acidic, so the
above helps (Also, supplements can make you acidic, as well.
This has been very helpful, and helps keep the inflammation in
check.)

Blessings,
Joann

Do you have hot flashes due to menopause? :