Can a pituitary adenoma cause heart arrhythmia?

Ablation last year that resolved SVT, VT, AT arrhythmia. Recent loss of menstruation (5 months, not pregnant) indicates pituitary involvement, and my heart has become more irregular again. Could this be related?

Ah, i forgot to mention that i also have 2 forms of arrhythmia VT and AF

I found that processed foods really affect my menstruation. I'd look into avoiding all forms of free-glutamic acid and MAYBE dairy, JUST to see if it's an issue. I've got puzzling problems with my cycle too. I wonder if mine could be related to the pituitary gland. Heck, maybe being sensitive to foods is a result of that too.

Dear Anon

Thanks for your question and welcome to Empowher!

Like Coach Virginia, who has given you great food for thought, I am also going to assume you are menopausal based on your lack of periods and it not being connected to pregnancy. If you are not in or near menopause, please let us know so we can take a different approach!

Irregular heartbeat (also known as cardiac arrhythmia) has often been associated with menopause. Arrhythmia during menopause is due to hormonal fluctuations and this is considered a normal symptom of menopause although we all need to remember than it may have nothing to do with menopause at all and any heart conditions need to be taken seriously and seen to by a health care provider.

My other thought was a thyroid problem as I had irregular and rapid heartbeats when I had hyperthyroidism. You can solve that riddle by a simple blood test.

Pituitary Adenoma is a tumor often seen in older adults but certainly seen in people at any stage of life. Loss of periods is indeed a symptom. It can be diagnosed several ways, including blood tests or an MRI scan. You can read more about the ways to diagnose a pituitary adenoma here : http://www.newmayoclinicdiet.com/pituitary-tumors/diagnosis.html

And remember - the vast majority of these tumors are benign!

Are you being tested? Has your health care provider suggested tests for menopause, thyroid abnormalities, or a pituitary tumor? Or has he or she talked to you about heart disease and your risk levels? Please give us a little more information when you can as well as an update! We wish you well!

Dear Anonymous:
Is your loss of menstruation due to menopause? Assuming you are in this age range, I could not help to have a flash back to my own experience a few years back. I lived with irregular heart beats from age 27-35. They used to drive me crazy and got worse during my pregnancies. So, there is connection number one: Hormonal changes during pregnancy with irregular heart beats. I saw several cardiologists but not ONE ever considered a possible link to electrolyte deficiency. It is not uncommon to find that one of the root causes of most benign irregular heart beats is either hormonal fluctuations or electrolyte imbalance, or both. In my case I was never referred to an endocrinologist but in early 2000 my “outside the box” Internal Medicine doctor ran Thyroid and mineral levels tests. I found out my thyroid was borderline slow but my potassium and magnesium levels were very low. The heart, to function optimally, requires energy, this energy is supplied by electrolytes carried via the blood: potassium, sodium, etc. Also low levels of magnesium can trigger irregular heart beats. In my case I also found out that I had mercury toxicity which caused my electrolytes to go off balance. Once I detoxified from mercury, regained my electrolyte balance, the irregular heart beats disappeared, my thyroid and adrenal fatigue also resolved. If you are younger than menopause or perimenopause age, I wonder if your iron may also be low. Have you been tested for iron deficiency? Diabetes? With your history I suggest visiting an endocrinologist to get an evaluation and confirm whether or not you are experiencing sympoms of Pituitary Adenoma or something else. If you suspect pituitary involvement you probably have a good reason for it and you may be right on the money connecting the return of your irregular heart beats to pituitary involvement and loss of menses. But make sure to ask a doctor to confirm your suspicion. If everything comes back normal then do not rule out hydration and electrolyte replacement either. Sometimes the answers to our health problems are as simple as drinking Gatorade! Good Luck!

Arrhythmias Guide