ask: Can pregnancy occur days after ovulation?

Hello,
I believe to have ovulated on December 17th/18th...I had intercourse on December 22 but started my period on the 29th. Is there any possible way that I could be pregnant? Does a period necessarily mean that there was no hope of conception? Was the time of intercourse too late?

I've also been researching fertilization and everyone has their own opinions on the matter. Exactly how long does an egg last after ovulation? I've read it's 12-24 hours and then 24-48 hours before it breaks down. If that's the case then is it possible to get pregnant at the very end of that time period with the egg still being healthy?

Anonymous

Welcome to EmpowHER.  If you had your period after having unprotected sex.  Then you are not pregnant.  When there is no fertilized egg, the uterus sheds it's lining.  Which this is where a woman experience a menstrual cycle.  Ovulation usually occurs from day 11-21 of a cycle for most women.  But, everyone is different.  After leaving the ovaries, an egg usually lives for up to 24 hours the most. 

Daisy

Need Your Feedback! What health topics would you like to see covered more on EmpowHER.com?: