Can a serious fall that causes a deep bone contusion in the arm affect cervical spondylosis?

By Anonymous February 27, 2012 - 8:37am

I've had severe back problems for over 30 years, I've had untreated scoliosis, kyphosis, osteopenia, wedge fractures and spinal stenosis. I now need surgery for cerivical myelopathy. I had an unusual accident in a restaurant that catapaulted me onto the floor and I braced myself with both arms. The next day I was in serious pain and went to the er.
It was discovered at that time I had apparently broken my neck approximately six months prior. I had no treatment. I have been in excruciating pain ever since. Would the deep bone contusion have adversely affected the cervical spondylosis in the fall I had?

Hi Janet!

Thanks for clearing things up, I was under the impression that the accident in the restaurant had just happened.

One could definitely contribute to the other but as I mentioned - age is most often a factor in cervical spondylosis. It may be a chicken-egg thing but since you didn't have previous x-rays, you may never know. But I cannot imagine that an undiagnosed broken neck would leave no repercussions. Age related spondylosis is generally gradual but arm, hand and leg weakness and pain is common - something that you are dealing with. A broken neck could also lead to this kind of pain.

Your doctor should be able to tell you more, based on your medical records. Good luck with your surgery.

Thank you for your question and I'm sorry to know you're in so much pain, that recent incident sounded like a freak accident to have caused you to land with such force. 

I have read your question a few times and still have a couple of questions. What happened to your neck in this most recent fall? What was injured - what was your diagnosis. Cervical spondylosis is usually general wear and tear in the neck and is often caused simply by aging, not accidents. Is this the case with you?

I'm not quite understanding your question as you did not list cervical spondylosis in your list of diagnoses. Are you asking if your already broken neck could have contributed to the damage sustained by your recent fall?

I hope my questions make sense but I am understanding your question, unfortunately. I hope we hear back from you.

Thanks for your reply Susan,

Most of this is news to me. I've read reports I've had scoliosis, I was unaware this could be congenital. I'm the typical shoemaker's daughter. I've had x rays of my spine before, but nothing of the neck until the accident in October of 2010. That's when I found out about the broken neck. The accident caused a deep bone contusion. I never had any therapy, I just trudged forward. But, the pain has gotten so bad I had an mri of the back and spine recently, and was told I needed surgery immediately. The pain in my arms and hands are so bad I can't write a note. I'm just curious if the accident that aggravated my broken neck, has contributed to my present condition, or is this just old age? I'm in very good athletic condition, I climbed nine flights of steps five times a day for nine years. So, this present pain and imobility part of the process for cervical spondylosis? (Cord impingement or myelopathy as the radiologist reported.).

Janet M.

Cervical Myelopathy