Can someone be trained and raised to be depressed by a parent?

I ask this because my mother and father divorced at a very early age. But to get back at him, she led us to believe all of these awful things about him. That's not the only thing she never taught me how to budget as a kid or take care of finances . It was always about her, my money went straight into her bank account and me being a good daughter I never once did anything about it. She lived threw me, bought me clothes she thought I should wear and trust me her style is not mine. Now that I am older I fight back but she still tries to use my kids against me and my family all think I am the worst daughter in the world for treating her like I do. but I get majorly depressed and try not to show it because then I know she has power over me and I am trying not to give her that anymore. Even my kids recognize now how much my mother hurts me and they are only 7yr. old and 5 yrs. old . how do I get over this depression when we live in the same house?

Welcome to EmpowHER and thank you for reaching out to our community with your issues with your mother.

It appears that you might be confusing control issues, unhappiness and anger with depression.

Most people say they are depressed when they feel sad. Depression is a mood disorder that causes a persistent feeling of sadness and loss of interest. You may have trouble doing normal day-to-day activities, and sometimes you may feel as if life isn't worth living.

Anonymous,depression generally isn't a disorder that you can treat on your own. I urge you to schedule an appointment with your primary care physician or a psychiatrist.

Medications and psychological counseling (psychotherapy) are very effective for most people with depression.

How old are you? Are you financially independent? Why are you and your children living with your mother?

The first step to self help would be to disassociate yourself from your mother. If this is as toxic a situation as you describe, the best thing to do is move out, get a place of your own and work to healing.

Relationships & Family

Relationships & Family Guide