Scoliosis

Scoliosis Guide

Cary Cook BSN RN

ask: Can someone help me understand the result of my x-ray in the Lumbo Sacral AP Lateral?

By Recah

It says in my x-ray that:

There is levoscoliosis of the lumbar spine. The line of weight bearing falls anterior to the sacral promontory. The visualized lumbar vertebral bodies and intervertebral spaces are not narrowed. There are no lytic nor sclerotic changes seen. There is spina bifida occulta involving lower sacral segments. There are no abnormal soft tissu calcifications in the projection taken.

Impression:
Levoscoliosis of the lumbar spine
Consider predisposition to lumbosacral instability

Spina bifida occulta, lower sacral segments

Please help me with understanding these medical terms. Will much be appreciated if you'd help me. Thank you and God Bless us all!

Anonymous

what does a a predisposition to lumbosacral instability means?

Recah,

Levoscoliosis is a type of scoliosis. That is the textbook definition of levoscoliosis, but the simple and easy explanation is the following: while scoliosis refers strictly to the curvature of the spine, one direction or another (including left, right, forward and backward), levoscoliosis is the particular name for scoliosis with a left side curvature.

Predisposition to lumbar instability is the predisposition of a joint having the same normal' physiological load as a stable joint, but moves through an abnormal, and usually excessive, range of motion.

Finally, Spina Bifida Occulta refers to a group of conditions involving the spinal column—a structure made of bones called vertebrae. The spinal column is responsible for supporting the skeleton and protects the spinal cord, which is the cable of nervous tissue that transmits information between the brain and the body. Spina Bifida Occulta is a common condition, occurring in 10% - 20% of otherwise healthy people.

http://www.levoscoliosis.org/

http://www.spinabifidaassociation.org/site/c.liKWL7PLLrF/b.2700275/k.5F6...

What has your doctor told you about these results? While I could tell you exactly what your results mean, keep in mind that your doctor knows your history and your conditions and that he is the best person to answer any questions that you may have regarding your X Rays. I hope this helps you understand your results a little.

Best Wishes,

Rosa

Recah (reply to Rosa Cabrera RN)

Hi Ms. Rosa,

Thank you so much for your reply.

I met my orthopedic surgeon awhile ago. It was actually the second time I consulted to him. The first time I consulted to him was because I was suffering from lower back pain. He told me that I should consider having an MRI since he suspected that I have slipped disk. But he also advised me to take anti-inflammatory medicine and observe if I could get better in one week. He also asked me to take an x-ray and that was the result (the question I posted). After a week of taking my meds, I got better and went back to him. He said that since I got better, he wouldn't consider MRI "for now" and just advised me to have therapy. He also advised me to take vitamin B1 B6 B12 since I am experiencing numbness on my back. I'll be meeting him again next week for the measuring of brace for my back.

FYI.

Thanks and God Bless!