Can Stress Induce Your Menstrual Cycle?

By April 13, 2010 - 10:34am

I'm on a birth control pill so I should not have my period right now, but I do. So I was wondering if stress and anxiety can cause a stress-induced menstrual cycle.

I know women can have stress-induced missed periods, but is the opposite true as well?

Yes, but I'm on a three-month pack and my period started at the beginning of a new pack, like it knew in reality that that is when it is supposed to arrive. However, I've been on this type of three-month pack for more than a year and I've never had this occur. I have an appointment next month to see my gynecologist and obviously I'd ask her what's up, it's just weird so I wanted to get other opinions.

Hi Shannon

Great question! It's unclear if stress can INDUCE a period. But what stress can do is cause irregularities. Included in those irregularities are early periods, as well as late ones. So in that sense, they can 'induce' although that wouldn't really be the correct word - more like stress can change a cycle and cause periods to arrive way before expected.

Shannon, it's more concerning that you are on the Pill and having bleeding when you shouldn't. This should not happen when someone is on hormonal medication that regulates a month cycle and is taking it correctly. It could mean your Pill is not functioning correctly. Are you bleeding while taking active pills?