Can Teenage Girls get gallstones?

By April 18, 2010 - 5:00pm

i am having sharp pain in my lower abdomen(belly area) that comes and goes and gets worse each time it comes back! i have had this pain since last sunday and it is April 18th! its not going away and it hurts alot. im cold but then as soon as i get a blanket or something im burning hot! i am gaining alot of weight and my appetite is gone, and then it will come back! i also feel as if i want or need to throw up back can not!

Hi shaunwhite!

Yes, it is possible for a teen to have gallstones. Here is a little info for you:

Gallstones are pieces of stone-like material that form in the gallbladder. The majority of gallstones are made up of cholesterol. The rest are made up of bilirubin. Bilirubin is a breakdown pigment of the blood product hemoglobin.

CausesThe gallbladder stores bile. This fluid is produced in the liver and used in the small intestine to digest fat. Bile contains cholesterol, water, bilirubin, and bile salts.

Gallstones can form under the following conditions:

Too much absorption of bile salts from the bile
Too much absorption of water from the bile
Too much cholesterol in the bile
Inflammation of the lining of the gallbladder

Risk FactorsThese factors increase your chance of developing gallstones. Tell your doctor if you have any of these risk factors:

Age: older than 60 years old
Women between 20-60 years old and
Women with high estrogen levels due to pregnancy, oral contraceptive use, or hormone replacement therapy
Race: Pima Indians and other Native Americans, Mexican Americans, and Northern Europeans
Use of cholesterol-lowering drugs
Rapid weight loss and fasting
Previous gallstones
Diseases of the gallbladder and ducts
Blood diseases, including sickle cell anemia

SymptomsMany people have gallstones without symptoms, called "silent gallstones." In some cases, these are treated.

Gallstones may cause pain in the upper abdomen. This is sometimes called an attack because it begins suddenly, often after a fatty meal. The pain is severe and may last for 30 minutes or several hours.

Other symptoms include:

Intermittent pain on the right, below the ribcage
Bloating, nausea, and vomiting
Belching, gas, and indigestion

If you have the following symptoms, see your doctor right away:

Abdominal pain
Low-grade fever
Jaundice (yellowish color of the skin or whites of the eyes)
Clay-colored stools

Read more on our gall stones page here: http://www.empowher.com/media/reference/gallstones#definition

shaunwhite, do you have any of these symptoms, or a family history of gall stones? Are you at a healthy weight with lots of healthy foods and plenty of exercise?

Shawnwhite - I'm more concerned about your appendix, right now. And this pain usually begins in the middle of the belly before moving to the right hand side. If this pain is bad and ongoing, I suggest you tell your parents right now and ask them to take you to a health care provider. The appendix is not something that you should take a "wait and see" attitude with.

One more thing - is there anyway you think you might be pregnant? Any chance at all?

I hope to hear from you very soon...

Well I am a very athletic sports girl and so yes I am at a heathly wieght and eat super healthy! And I have my mother and she replied welcome to womanhood! And there is no possible way I am pregant! I am still a virgin and unless god put a baby in me himslef put a baby in me.