Can Ulcerative Colitis cause pain and discomfort during sex?

By December 6, 2010 - 12:06pm

I have noticed that since ive been diagnosed with ulcerative colitis i cant have sex.. it hurts to much.. I was wondering if this could be the UC or if something else is wrong with me.. I do have a tipped uterus so i do have discomfort usually but never this much. ive been with the same man for 10 years so stds are a non-issue... so can this be linked to UC and if so what can i do to help it?

I have had severe digestive system issues...ulcerative colitis most of my adult life. My ability to digest and absorb foods properly to get the nutritional benefit was greatly diminished. I knew nothing would be "quick fix", since I had been digestively compromised for so many years.

It turns out, my intestinal bacteria were probably totally out of whack from all the trauma and medications my digestive system had endured over all these years. I researched and decided on the Lady Soma Fiber Cleanse - I ordered online after being recommended by my GP. When I received these, I immediately started taking them. I did feel a little dizzy after but I know this response just means the Deep Immune is doing its job, killing off bad bacteria and replacing it with good bacteria.

After my body finished dumping all those toxins, I STARTED FEELING BETTER THAN I HAVE FOR YEARS! I will continue to use Lady Soma's Fiber Cleanse It is probably a good addition for everyone's general health, but it can also be life changing for some people like me.

Hi Nellie

Thanks for your question and for finding EmpowHER!

You are right to think that your UC may be interfering in your sex life (as well as your regular life) but there are ways to circumvent some of the issues surrounding this.

I'd like you to read a great article on UC and the impact on a person's sex life here: http://www.everydayhealth.com/ulcerative-colitis/ulcerative-colitis-and-sex.aspx

Also, Nellie, it may be that your UC is not the issue here and something else is - it could be something emotional or something else physical going in with you. When you say you are in pain, can you tell us what kind (dull/sharp, constant/intermittent etc) and tell us where the pain is? Are you having vaginal sex only or also anal sex? Do you feel there is an emotional component to this since you have only felt the pain since your diagnosis?

We look forward to hearing more from you!

Thanks for your reply. I found that article informative Ive been searching for something about this for a while now. I am not gonna lie that it could be partly emotional.. the past couple of months have been stressful.. not only am i dealing with UC i have shoulder and neck problems as well and just started a new job in late Oct.. the thought of sex lately has made me cringe.. the pain is usually a stabbing sharp pain that gradually turns into a throb.. sometimes it last only during sex... sometimes the throbbing can last for a couple hours after wards... i feel it in my lower abdomen.. its not like the pain when he hits my wall cause of the tipped uterus.. that's more of a sting.. like i just got hit down there... this is more painful and last much longer... I'm relieved to hear the UC might be playing a part in it i think i might go to planned parenthood to make sure its not anything else physical but you finding that article and letting me know I'm not alone has helped me immensely... nobody i know has ever heard of UC and has no clue how painful and FRUSTRATING it can be. so thank you!

HERWriter Guide (reply to Nellie)

You are welcome, Nellie - that's what we're here for!

I think it's a great idea to get seen to at a clinic and make sure you let them know you also have UC.

Let me know how it goes, ok? Stay in touch!

Ulcerative Colitis