Can vaginal itching correlate to my period or Nexplanon implant side effects?

By April 27, 2015 - 12:07am

I got my implant done on March 27, the 28th I got my normally planned (I used to be on the pill) period. It lasted a bit longer, but I noticed vaginal itching by the opening throughout my period. I thought maybe it was my tampons or pads. Earlier tonight, April 26th, I started feeling itchy again. I went to the bathroom to wash myself, thinking sweat and discharge may have irritated me. But as I washed I started bleeding. Typical timing for my period, sine I'm only one month into my implant. Or it could just be breakthrough bleeding. Oddly enough, this past Friday the 24th, I was told I had a mild yeast infection and was given a one dose medication for it. That was 2 days ago when I had no itching at all, and all of a sudden I am again? Can it be that my period is now uncomfortable for me? I'm 22 and this has never happened before. Any advise or positive comments will help very much!

I have the nexplanon also. And i put it in march 2015 and around april or june till now i have experienced alot of changes in my vagina. Itchiness, sores, and yeast infection. Well today december 12 2015. I been spotting and itching in my vagina. I havent seen my period or i have never spotted for 9 months till now. I believe that this nexplanon is what is giving me all this symptoms cus this have never happen to me.

Hi I read your post on the Nexplanon implant and I'm concerned because it sounds like I'm experiencing a lot of those same symptoms. I got my implant put in a little over a year ago and my menstrual cycles have been all over the place ever since. This cycle has been ongoing now for almost 2 weeks now which my doctor has told me is a side affect of the implant. The problem is now I've noticed my vagina being sore especially after sex and to make it worse I now have these sores in that area that I've never had before. My initial thought was herpes and I've been freaking out and doing google searches all day to see if this is normal due to the birth control. I definitely don't sleep around and I've been with my boyfriend for almost 9 months now and have never experienced this vaginal soreness itching or these sores before. I noticed you said you also got the sores so I was hoping you could relieve me a little with the outcome of your situation. I assume you got that checked out so was that something your doctor said was normal with this implant or was it something else? I really appreciate your help!

Hello Bri189,

Thank you for reaching out to us for advice. I can provide general information, but I suggest you discuss your concerns with your physician, who performed the implant procedure and diagnosed the yeast infection.

Citing from the Nexplanon website, "The most common side effect of NEXPLANON is a change in your normal menstrual bleeding pattern. In studies, one out of ten women stopped using the implant because of an unfavorable change in their bleeding pattern. You may experience longer or shorter bleeding during your periods or have no bleeding at all. The time between periods may vary, and in between periods you may also have spotting."

Vaginitis, which is inflammation of the vagina, is a common side effect. It causes itching, discharge and pain. Yeast infections, which are usually caused by a naturally occurring fungus called Candida albicans, is one of the most comm types of vaginitis.

I hope this helps you.