Can you be addicted to caffeine?

By March 5, 2008 - 5:07pm

My caffeine consumption is fairly limited, usually to 2-3 cups over the weekend when my darling groom is home. But, I do know what caffeine withdrawal feels like, as I used to drink a ridiculous amount of coffee before quitting, then allowing myself the weekend cups.

Do you think a person can be addicted to caffeine, and do you think it goes hand in hand with another addiction, like nicotine?

My husband has been suffering from headaches on weekends and has now realized that he is not drinking coffee on weekends like he does at work during the week. Weekend headaches are actually common for workers who tend to overload on caffeine during the work week and ease up on weekends.

So he gradually cut down and has now switched to decaf. And the headaches have gone. So I guess the withdrawal symptoms have also gone?

I do believe caffeine has addictive properties!

Wow, if caffeine does metabolize nicotine, that would explain a lot. I always thought it was the hand-to-mouth impulse that "married" the two habits. :o

I feel someone can be addicted to caffeine. I have 'quit' drinking coffee several times and vividly remember the headaches and the naps I needed just to 'pull through' it. I'm actually trying to limit my intake a little bit again (I really do feel it makes me a little tense) so am easing my way through 'half-caf' coffee right now. I have to admit I feel a little cranky.

I believe that the addiction or dependence on both caffeine and nicotine go hand in hand and become worse when you rely on both. I remember hearing that caffeine metabolizes nicotine faster, probably increasing dependence.

Addictions Guide