Can you get pregnant during withdrawal bleeding?

By April 1, 2016 - 9:24am

I had sex during withdrawal bleeding. This withdrawal bleeding was due to the fact that I took Nordette as ECP 5 days prior to said bleeding. Anyway, this withdrawal bleeding was heavy, bright red and lasted for 3 days, pretty much like my real period.

Do I have a big chance of being pregnant?

Anonymous

Hey guys so I really am in an emergency for this hoping you could help me out.

So i took a EMERGENCY CONTROL PILL called NORDETTE back when i had an unprotected sex with my boyfriend. Suddenly when I WAS DURING MY FIRST DAY of withdrawal bleeding, my boyfriend got drunk and we had sex at that time. And he came inside me. i was wondering what should i do. WILL I GET PREGNANT? SHOULD I TAKE ANOTHER SET OF ECP ? Please help me.

Guide (reply to Anonymous)

Do not take another dose of Nordette. If you were having withdrawal bleeding when you had sex again, there was no risk for becoming pregnant.

Regards,

Anonymous (reply to Maryann Gromisch RN)

Thank.u MARYANN.

I was wondering what will happen.if i will.not.take.another.dose. i had my.bleeding continued after but not.as many as it was first. WILL.I.STILL.BE FINE ? Please i.dont wamna get pregnany yet.im.too.young 。。

Guide (reply to Anonymous)

You were not at risk for getting pregnant the second time you had sex because you had already taken Nordette and were having withdrawal when you had sex.

Now is a very good time to start using birth control each and every time you have sex.

Regards,

Guide

Hello Mica881,

Welcome to the EmpowHER community. Thank you for coming to us with your concern about possibly becoming pregnant.

There is no chance for pregnancy by having intercourse during withdrawal bleeding.

Withdrawal bleeding is the passing of your uterine lining and blood. In order to become pregnant, there must be a released mature egg waiting to be fertilized by sperm. The fertilized egg then implants in the uterine lining and develops. None of these factors existed in your situation.

By the way, an emergency contraceptives are intended for emergency use, such as contraceptive failure. There are not designed or intended to be used as regular birth control.

Mica881, please learn about all contraceptive options and choose one that will work best for you. Learn more at http://www.empowher.com/contraception

Regards,

(reply to Maryann Gromisch RN)

Thanks so much for the reply MaryAnn!

I would like to add also that when I took the Nordette as ECP, I only took 2 tablets instead of the recommended 8 tablets. Anyway, I still got a withdrawal bleeding 5 days after.

Will this reset my cycle? My period was from March 5-8 and my withdrawal bleeding was from March 19-21.