can you get pregnant on your period?

I didn't have sex I was just wondering for the future because I didn't know the answer but if you got pregnant on your period, would the period just stop??

Thanks for your post! To answer your last question first - no your period wouldn't just stop if you got pregnant while on your period. Pregnancy actually takes some time - to reach the sperm, to penetrate the egg, to implant and then move up into the uterus.

And yes, you can get pregnant on your period, even though it's unusual. Sperm can live in a woman's body for up to five days. If she has sex toward the end of her period and then ovulates early, she can actually get pregnant from the sex she had several days before.

Again, this is not something that is a common occurrence (at all) but it can happen. There is no absolute safe time to have unprotected sex.

Thanks for writing!