Can you have your withdrawal bleeding during birth control and still be pregnant?

By October 13, 2015 - 3:44pm

Well, I've read a lot of things about how while on birth control, you can still get a withdrawal bleeding even if you are pregnant. I don't know if this is true, but I'm usually a terribly anxious person (which is why I chose to be on BC). I'm on the combined pill, just started taking it 3 months ago.

My boyfriend and I had protected sex the first day of my third week of my first box, but the condom broke. I didn't take the first pill on my period, but I talked to my doctor and he said I needed at least 7 days to be protected. Anyways, I still got really worried, and I noticed that I started to get a lot of symptoms related to the pill but of course, related to pregnancy as well (breast augmentation, feeling of fullness, bloated, mild nausea, fatigue). During my 1st break, I got the withdrawal bleeding; it lasted about 4 days, and it was quite painful. Then I got the withdrawal bleeding for my 2nd box, on the 4th day of the break (lasted 7 days) and this time it was not painful (no heavy cramps). I have to say I was really nervous by all the changes in my body that during this time, I got two pregnancy tests, and both came out negative, but I'm so paranoid that I think I may have done them incorrectly. I'm now on 7th day of my 3rd withdrawal bleeding, started on the 5th day of the break.

The thing is that I've read so many stories about women that didn't know they were pregnant while on the pill since they still were having their withdrawal bleeding. Is this true? My bleedings are fairly heavy the first 3-4 days, and then they get light, but I just can't seem to be calm about this. I would be so grateful to have professional advice on this matter, so I can just move on. Please.

Hi DL91

Your issue is not pregnancy - you're not pregnant. Your issue is anxiety. Talking to someone about this can help. Stressing about this is not going to do you any good and the more you obsess about it, the more "symptoms" you will feel. Stop focusing on the pregnancy aspect and get help for your anxiety. Good luck!

Hello, thank you for your reply, you have no idea how much I appreciate it,

I live alone, in another country (I go back every 4-5 months, so I can't see my gyn a lot). I recently broke up with my boyfriend. I don't have the greatest relationship with my family, and I am really busy with college, so I don't really have many friends, but colleges, so I can't really talk to someone about this. That's the reason why I joined this site, I really, like you said, just needed to talk to someone about it. I know of my anxiety, but unfortunately I can't go and see anyone, so I deal with it on my own.

Again, thank you so, so much for your reply; I was really stressed because of all the different experiences that I've read on the internet, and I do tend to dwell on it a lot.

HERWriter Guide (reply to DL91)

Hi DL91

I'm sorry you're feeling lonely and anxious. Is there a group you can join at college, where you have common interests and you can make friends? I hate to think of anyone in your situation (I've been there myself) so see what you can do to find and make some friends. You can always chat here too.