Can you spot bleed days before your actual period starts, or is the spotting considered the start?

I am looking to get pregnant but am having trouble figuring out the actual start day of my last period. My periods are usually light on the first day, but sometimes I spot a few days before the actual flow begins. I'm just curious if the spotting is considered the first day to calculate ovulation from.

Anonymous

light Spottotting On The 21st When Period Was Due But nothing Since Than & I'm 8 Days Late

It's a good idea to take a pregnancy test.

Hi, Im Prachi, I was due for my periods on 27/05/2016 however I hae been spotting since 24/05/2016 and its 9 days and I am still spotting. Not much, only 3-4 drops on pad and everytime I wipe. I was diagnosed with PCOS in 02/16 and had a miscarriage in 03/16. Please advise what is happening. I have done a pregnancy test , since as per the follicular study i did not ovulate last month. Please advise what is happening.

HERWriter Guide (reply to Prachi)

Hi Prachi

Thank you for your post and I am sorry to know you had a miscarriage.

I assume your test was negative?

If so, this spotting may be your body's attempt at a period but PCOS can cause a lack of periods or irregularity.

Women who have PCOS and are trying to get pregnant need to work closely with their doctors. Talk to yours about your options - you may need medication to ovulate.

Hey Cody,

Sorry, what I meant was I havent take a text yet. And today is 10 day since I started spotting. I have never had this issue even when I was aware that I had PCOS. I do not know what is happening as am very irritated with this.

HERWriter Guide (reply to Prachi)

Hi again!

Take a pregnancy test so at least you know where you stand regarding that.

HERWriter Guide (reply to Prachi)

Hi Prachi

I assume your test was negative?

Anonymous

My gf has a regular period schedule but this time on the day of her period she started getting cramps and a burning sensation feeling on her lower part of the belly. The burning sensation stopped after a day then the cramps started and now after 4 days she is now feeling heavy cramps but she is spotting and it is somewhat light pink, but then she said it got somewhat darker after the next spotting and right now she is still having cramps. She took a pregnancy test in the morning but it came negative. It has now been five days since her expected period was supposed to start. There have only been cramps since the day of the expected period but with spotting on the fifth day.

If her period doesn't fully start in the next few days (and she has been having unprotected sex) she should consider a blood test at the doctor office.

Anonymous

Red blood when I wipe and on my tampon. But no heavy flow. Is that normal to be light the first day of period?