Pregnancy Guide

ask: Can you spot bleed days before your actual period starts, or is the spotting considered the start?

I am looking to get pregnant but am having trouble figuring out the actual start day of my last period. My periods are usually light on the first day, but sometimes I spot a few days before the actual flow begins. I'm just curious if the spotting is considered the first day to calculate ovulation from.

lyn87

HI everyone,
This would be my first time posting something on here. Me and my husband of 4 years are ttc baby #2. Our daughter will be 2 years old in november, so let me get started on how confused I am right now. I have a 35 day cycle and my last period started on may 13th and it lasted for about 5 days. after that me and DH has been sexually active almost throught that month. Right now its june 13th so ever since june 7 I was having some heavy/pressure cramping throughout the day. And then june 8 came along and I started gagging on different smells. June 9th arrived and thats when I noticed some spotting, at first it was a brownish looking color with CM (No Cramps). And then june 10th it was light red spottings that turn kinda dark red later on throughout the day. (Still spotting) jun 11th woke up and noticed that I was having my period and I wasnt cramping no backachs nothing until today witch is june 12 im still having a period like flow with no cramps or anything witch is super weriod since this is my first time experiencing something like this with no cramps or backaches.
So my question is has anyone experienced two days of spotting and another two days of menstrual period without any cramping or backache and may or may not been pregnant? Please help :)

Anonymous

I also wondered about the real "Day 1." As this page was loading, I figured out a practical way to find out. It takes 3 steps to find out.

We know that the luteum corpus is formed as soon as ovulation has ocurred. Then the luteum corpus begins to produce progesterone and this causes the elevations in temperature. This luteal phase is constant and began exactly 14 days before the beginning of the period. The beginning of our period, Day 1, is when the luteum corpus has disintegrated and no longer making progesterone. The low progesterone levels cause our lower temperatures.

So the average temperatures of our follicular phase (before ovulation) should all be lower than the average temperatures in the luteal phase (after ovulation).

Step 1. Pick "Spotting Day 1" as the first day of your menstrual cycle and count 14 days before. That was the day of ovulation and the beginning of the luteal phase according to this sample of temperatures. So take the averages of those two time frames. Before ovulation (follicular phase) and after (luteal phase).

2. Now, ignore the days we spotted and pick "Heavy bleeding Day 1" as the first day of your menstrual cycle and count 14 days before. Again, take the averages of the temperatures before ovulation and after for this sample of temperatures.

3. The averages that show the biggest difference between the two phases is most likely the "real Day 1."

When I did this, my average temperatures were more different when I counted "Heavy Bleeding Day 1" as the first day of my cycle. So for me, my "True Day 1" began on the days my heavy bleeding began and not the spotting.

My Example:
A. "Spotting Day 1": Follicular Phase Average Temperatures 36.23, Luteal Phase Average Temperatures 36.41. The difference = 0.18.

B. "Heavy Bleeding Day 1": Follicular Phase Average Temperatures 36.17, Luteal Phase Average Temperatures 36.52. The difference = 0.35.

P.S. I had three months worth of data to work with.

I hope it helps!
-Carmen Gutierrez, Med Student

thanks for the tips.
I cannot figure it out when is my ovulation date is.
Please help me on that, here is my story:
About the Period: should I count the first day of my Brown spotting, usually have 1-2 days of Brown spotting then heavy bleeding for 2 days(needs to change pads,2 pads a day) then Light and at the end brown spotting. From first day of spotting to the last day of spotting = 9-10 days.
Base on that My LMP past 3 months: 14-22 Nov,11-20Dec ,8-17Jan
When is my ovulation day exactly?
Is my cycle length 26-27 days or 28 days ? when is the best fertile days ?
Should I count my LMP first day of my heavy bleeding or first day of spotting?
I know that I need to add 14 from my first day of LMP and get the ovulation day but want to make sure I know the LMP right.
Thanks

Anonymous

I am very confused and in need of advice. I have very irregular periods and this month on the 25th day of my cycle I started spotting. Not too light but not enough to consider a period. I spotted for about 4 days when my period is only 2 days. I have had increase in vaginal discharge since then along with terrible acne mood swings light cramping and soreness in my breast. I tooka hot and it was negative. Any suggestions?

Susan Cody HERWriter Guide (reply to Anonymous)

If your test said you are not pregnant then this is most likely to be a very light period. I don't know where in your cycle you are now but you could be ovulating (vaginal discharge) or getting ready for your period again.

Anonymous

Hi, I'm 31 yrs old and my bf and I are ttc. I had a DMV 1 1/2 yrs ago n now my periods have become irregular. We hve been trying for 6 months now and I'm starting to worry. Mycycle was 35 days last month and now this month it was only 25 days. Any advice?

I meant to say I had a d&c

It seems your period is extremely irregular, making conception a challenge.

Why did you have the D&C?

I was 8 weekS reggo and had a miscarriage but my body was not naturally disposing the fetus :(

I'm very sorry for you loss.

I think it's a good idea to see your doctor. Since you have been trying for over a year, you may need to help to regulate your cycle and/or make sure your fertility levels are in good order.

Please update us when you can!

Pregnant? Where do you get your information and support about pregnancy and delivery? :