Can you still get pregnant after Postinor 2?

Hi I had intercouse with my bf 5 days after my period we use protection an after I took postinor 2 pills beacause I think precum got on my virginia I took one pill a few minutes after an the other 12 hours after that but I am spotting brown an I am getting lower back an belly pains is this normal? I don't want to get pregnant

Anonymous

Hi Doc! I had unprotected sex on the 27/06/16, My Bf definitely ejaculated inside of me and I took the postinor 2 first tablet on Monday morning at 5:30 am and the second 5:30 pm. As of this morning I have been feeling on and off period like cramps but no bleeding as yet, I am also having frequent urination. Is this normal? Do you think it is working?

Maryann Gromisch RN Guide (reply to Anonymous)

Hello anonymous,

Postinor 2 prevents pregnancy primarily by preventing ovulation. It can also cause changes in your cervical mucus to make it harder for sperm to reach the released egg.

You took the pill properly. You will know it worked once you have vaginal bleeding or your next period, whichever comes first.

Test for pregnancy, only if you do not have any vaginal bleeding within three weeks of taking the pill.

Regards,

Anonymous

Hi? I had ma LMP on 3june.had an protected sex on 11 June then I took p2 on that evening..for nw am experiencing backache and pain in ma breast..could I be pregnant?? am afraid..

If it was protected sex, there was no reason to take Postinor 2. An emergency contraceptive is a strong pill. It contains a high dose of the hormone, levonorgestrel, which is found in most birth control pills.

By taking it, you upset the normal balance of hormones that regulate your menstrual cycle.

I don't think you are pregnant, but the backache and breast pain are probably side effects of taking the pill.

Regards,

Anonymous

hi doc,
i have my period on 30/5/16 and after that i have unprotected sex on 11/6/2016 but i ony take 1 pill of postinor 2 will i get pregnant.

An emergency contraceptive prevents pregnancy by preventing ovulation. Ir is effective if taken as soon as possible but within 72 hours of unprotected sex.

Now, if you had a two pill dose but only took one dose, you could have decreased its promised effectiveness.

You will know if it worked once you have vaginal bleeding or your next period.

Regards,

i have taken postinor 2 on 11/6/2016 but till now i still haven get period...am i pregnant.

Postinor 2 prevents pregnancy by preventing ovulation. The single dose should be taken within 72 hours of unprotected intercourse to be effective. The two pill dose should also be taken within 72 hours to be effective, but the second pill must be taken within 12 hours after the first pill.

Anonymous, if you didn't take the second pill, its effectiveness could have been reduced. Check with your gynecologist or pharmacist.

You will know it worked if you have vaginal bleeding within 3 weeks of taking it. No bleeding- test for pregnancy.

Regards,

Anonymous

hi I have my period on 15th May and had unprotected sex on 5th June and 6th June and taken Postinor 2 on wednesday. Also I was late to eat the pills 6 hours late. My cycle is usually 40 days. But till now my period hasn't come. May I know if I'm pregnant?

Postinor 2 prevents pregnancy by preventing ovulation. With a 40 day menstrual cycle, you may have ovulated on or close to June 4.

The pill is effective if taken within 72 hours or 3 days of unprotected intercourse. You should have taken the pill no later than Tuesday.

The only way to know whether or not you became pregnant is to wait for vaginal bleeding. If you do not have any bleeding within three weeks of taking the pill, test for pregnancy.